What are you not telling me

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeh I would not trust those. Handlebar failure results in a trip to the dentist before the emergency room.

TheFlyingDingo said:
I wouldnt touch those...but maybe its a ring of dust from something that was there before?

Looks like a good deal on that

Yeah I think it looks like a bit more than dust, like little hairy fibers sticking out of it, and then looks like its cracked again at the stem. this guy has been trying to sell this thing for a while now and it keeps getting cheaper each time lol, first time it had the bigger pics though.... or maybe im just being overly pessimistic :lol:

looks like tape resudue maybe from a computer or a light.
its nice bike but way too expensive for what it is...

Might send him an e-mail and ask about that, if it is a flaw use that to talk the price down. :wink:

outskirtscustoms said:
Might send him an e-mail and ask about that, if it is a flaw use that to talk the price down. :wink:

Honestly, Im not all that interested in buying it, I just see stuff like "as far as I know its never been crashed" and I start wondering why someone even bothered to write that unless they were hiding something. Its a mountain bike, I think they're supposed to take a beating, right ? (<----- rhetorical question)

Yeah I've seen the same, like a Suzuki Samurai I saw before I got my Toyota, said "Never driven hard or off-road" Then one pic I recognized in the background a sign that read Badlands off road park.....What a tool.

Carbon is for Hunting arrows and Italian cars. I will never put carbon on my bike again.

I had a seatpost break and stick me in the stomach. It was a very bad month.

Beau said:
Carbon is for Hunting arrows and Italian cars. I will never put carbon on my bike again.

I've never had a carbon bike but I've always wondered about it's strength.

I want to try out a carbon frame. I have had bike shops tell me its stronger than my steel frame :roll:
Im a pretty big guy, and people say i should ride carbon.

TheFlyingDingo said:
......Im a pretty big guy, and people say i should ride carbon....

people say a lot of things............ :wink:

schwinnmesa said:
To me it looks like left over adhesion from a light or something.

Ding Ding Ding !!

Curiosity got the better of me and I e-mailed the guy, left over stickum from a bike computer clamp and the guy admits the thing needs a bath and he just hasn't done it. Who washes a bike in December anyway, guess i just need to take a break and stop looking for problems that aren't there :lol:

Carbon bikes are SCARY! Steel bikes have been around for a hundred years. Carbon bikes from the 90's (many just carbon wrapped tubes) are scary! It's unpredictable. You scratch it, it becomes an issue. You nick it, it's an issue.

I work at a Trek dealer (HUGE carbon pusher). During the last seminar I asked about the longevity of their carbon bikes. They replied, "That's why we have the best warranty in the industry". I said, "How do you warranty teeth, broken bones and Doctor bills"?

I had to have a meeting after the seminar because I was "out of line" for questioning them. :roll:

I took a composites class in college. I will say, they have a pretty good handle on the manufacturing of carbon parts, but steel and aluminum have proven themselves. I'll wait another 10 years to see how carbon does.

outskirtscustoms said:
Beau said:

I've never had a carbon bike but I've always wondered about it's strength.

In 1995, I had the first OCLV Trek Carbon fiber Y bike to make it to my state. I beat the crap out of it. I jumped it like a BMX bike nearly every ride. The thing flew and had great flight characteristics. Up stairs, down stairs, off drop offs and the Homachitto trail numerous times. Took it to college and went to class with it to avoid the criminal parking situation. -Well what happened to the bike?

I still have it and it's kicking tail to this day. I don't ride it much at all, now though. And when I said I jumped it like a BMX bike, try sailing 5 1/2" in the air across a specific section of asphalt nature trail about as wide as 1.5 lanes of your average surface street. For a mountain bike (at the time) that's a launch and I did it at least 100 times.

Carbon has a place, but not with adults and handlebars.

Same here I'll wait and see how they stand the test of time, I'm nearly 200lbs so I like having some steel holding my buns off the pavement. My Schwinn has been around for 52 years (over twice as long as I have) and it's still in one piece so I know it's not going to fail any time soon. And to me scratching or nicking a bike is part of owning a bike, I mean that happens just putting it in the shed with the other 30 or so bikes. So if that's an issue it's not for me.

The Y-bikes were TANKS though! :lol: They were super thick too.

Plus, the Unified Rear Triangle suspension was worthless out of the saddle.

Latest posts

Back