What are these called?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPE

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen these quite a bit but I don't know what they are called. I'd like to pick one up for my build.
1. What are these called? (see yellow circle in photo below - stole photo from Bulletproof)
2. Where can I buy these?

zarape002-2.jpg

Another photo for reference:
zarape003-2.jpg

Awesome - thanks guys. Any idea as to where to get a 26" reproduction piece? Ebay doesn't have anything right now...

I emailed Electra yesterday and they just got back to me. They told me they use the truss on some of the bike models and they're not for individual sale. But they thanked me for being interested. :roll:

KickBackCycles said:
I emailed Electra yesterday and they just got back to me. They told me they use the truss on some of the bike models and they're not for individual sale. But they thanked me for being interested. :roll:

I was recently told by Electra that they will sell parts for any current bike. If you don't see them available online, you have to call Electra to order the parts. It's treated as a "special sale". Heck, you can always just tell them you need a replacement set for your Electra Super Deluxe, or something. Don't email them.....call them. And don't tell them you're putting them on a non Electra bike.

Keep in mind that truss rods come in different sizes.
Electra bikes usually have longer head tubes than other cruisers, so I have found that their truss rods are usually 1/2 - 1 inch too long and don't work with standard cruisers. It's possible that they have different sizes, so I suggest measuring your bike's head tube and then going to the local shop to see if any Electras with truss rods have the same head tube length. If so, make sure to order truss rods for that bike model.

GameBent said:
Keep in mind that truss rods come in different sizes.
Electra bikes usually have longer head tubes than other cruisers, so I have found that their truss rods are usually 1/2 - 1 inch too long and don't work with standard cruisers. It's possible that they have different sizes, so I suggest measuring your bike's head tube and then going to the local shop to see if any Electras with truss rods have the same head tube length. If so, make sure to order truss rods for that bike model.

Good point! And as a reference, my wife's Super Deluxe has stock truss rods. I measured the distance from the bottom of the headset lock nut to the front axle, and it's 22.5". The same measurement on one of my Schwinn's is 21.5", so in this case, you could cut an inch from the top end of the rod, and be fine. It looks like an inch off the rods wouldn't affect the appearance much, if at all.

Back