What 26" has a 3 bar design with horizontal dropouts?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will be looking into another project soon, and am wondering what 26" bikes from the 20's-50's, have a 3 bar design, and have horizontal dropouts (I have seen one with built in chain tensioners)?

I am new to the old school ratrod scene, but have mainly dabbled in BMX, Musclebikes, and now 26-29" BMX. I met a guy at Fullerton Bicycles, in Fullerton, CA, who was riding some type of complete chrome and aluminum 3 bar Hawthorne or something like that. It was totally BMX'ed out and looked awesome.

This is what I want to build or something very similar.

Pete- where is the best place on line to see what this frame looks like? Everything I find has the tank and fenders still on. Pretty hard to picture the frame alone.

spistols said:
...It was totally BMX'ed out and looked awesome.

This is what I want to build or something very similar.

Not sure if you've run across my '38 (Schwinn) Fleet or not. But this is a C-model Schwinn that was built from 1936-1938. The rear dropouts are rear-facing but not perfectly horizontal.

P1100757.jpg

P1100850_2.jpg

I should have this one finished in about a week. It's a 1939 Schwinn DX. This particular frame was 1 year only. In 1940, the downtube got the S shape to it. Again the dropouts face rear but down a little bit.

DSC_0003-2.jpg

100_3749.jpg

With derailleur-geared bikes, you don't need to adjust chain tension by shifting the axle, so horizontal drop-outs are not required, and may or may not be used. And if you get into fixie-conversions, this is an issue. But with most single-speed bikes, horizontal dropouts are required to adjust chain tension and so they were all built like that.

In addition to the old-style frames like that, watch for Worksman industrial cruisers, which pop up from time to time. And some similar bikes made by others. I doubt the workmanship is as high as the old bikes, but it keeps you from hacking up an antique, in the event you're not much of an artisan.

DSCN0618_564Proc.jpg

Check out Item 150461339272 on Ebay. It's a Worksman, frame only, that may go for cheap. I'd buy it except I just bought one.

Back