WF Tandem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing this was a Western Flyer. I think the only thing I salvaged from the original was the frame, fork and sprockets.

P0004111.jpg

Before.

P0004090.jpg

Last edited:
tandamn!

I wish my westerflyer tandem looked that nice lol, mines sitting behind the garage in peaces, rusting away... Yeah nice bike man!

Looks like a Huffy Daisy tandem. Looking good~!

Nice tandem. I am keeping my eye out for one. Built one in college, mostly used for beer runs. It looks good as is.

Daddyar said:
Cool tandem. What happened to the chainguard?
The chainguard was dented and cracked. Someone better at body work than me might have been able to salvage it.
One of the ideas I'm kicking around is a wood chainguard. This would go with a beach theme I 've been thinking about. Would also involve changing seats and a few other things.

aka_locojoe said:
Daddyar said:
Cool tandem. What happened to the chainguard?
The chainguard was dented and cracked. Someone better at body work than me might have been able to salvage it.
One of the ideas I'm kicking around is a wood chainguard. This would go with a beach theme I 've been thinking about. Would also involve changing seats and a few other things.

maybe you could go to one of those Grass Cloth beach matts.
they are about a dollar each.
My Buddie did the interior door panels of his girlfriends
56 Pontiac in those and it has a total Beach theme..

mabye try and wrap the trashed chain gaurd in it.

just a thought Randy..I love the beach theme idea..

Randy, A wood chainguard with wood fenders. There are some cool lookin ones available from Rivercitycycles. They are called Full Wood.
Rivercitybicycles.com

fullwood3.jpg

Hey y'all.. havent posted in.. like forever!
Posting up here because i'm about to start on a Western Flyer Tandem! My father had purchased it (in origional paint and condition) back in the early 80's from a yardsale for $20 or so.. I used to ride around on the back and just slap at the pedals when they came to the top (with my Dad up front)... Lost track of the bike.. found out that my uncle had the bike.. but had ruined it with an "update".
I'm about to fix it up to make it more usable for myself and my family. My wife and I both have some pretty sweet cruisers, but i really like to get some speed up sometimes and she dosen't keep up.. not to mention that we have a baby on the way... so this will actually be a Tri-andem.. (just a seat on the back :) )
Seeing that the bike has no real value as a collector piece, I'm planning on just making it a slightly more modern cruiser (tech wise) and thinking of making it more classic looking. Dunno if it's gonna be "Rat" or shiny.. this is the FAMILY bike, so we have to compromise a bit.
First off, here's what was changed:
Chaniguard off (still have it)
lousy grips
lycra gel saddles
no fenders :-(
Front Caliper has been replaced with some junk.. needs new
Tires were gumwalled garbage (rotted)
one set of pedals are newer but still garbage.

SO..
I need to measure the frame and figure out clearance for tires.. middle weight cruiser tires or balloon modern cruiser's tires. (and matching fenders)
Can i shoehorn a 7speed nexus hub in there? or am I only going to be able to update with a 3 speed nexus hub.
Can i use powdercoated Rims with rimbrakes to supplement the coaster brake or do i need to get machined rims matched to the hubs?

I want to overbuild this bike a bit so it will be safer for my family... we're both not the lightest people and lousy rims/hubs+overheating brakes on a downhill = a bad day.

Fresh chain, possibly newer cranks.. new seats (electra Amsterdam or Townie), new grips, wider bars.. the old ones just feel a little too narrow.
For that matter, I might have to swap out the seat posts: It may not look the coolest, but on my Del Sol Cruiser, I actually SET THE SEAT HEIGHT to where it is supposed to be for proper extension and its a much much more comfortable and practical.
Anyhow,
Ideas? I'll post the pics soon.. (and in another thread so as to not hijack.)

pics.
08-30-08_1730.jpg

08-30-08_1731.jpg

08-30-08_1732.jpg

08-30-08_1733.jpg

Need to retro-tize it a little.. my uncle tried to update it.. blah.
Not sure what i'm gonna do with paint yet..
and the biggie is that i think im make it a 7 speed internal rear hub..
good looks AND versital!

Great bike Randy!

What do you think about some medium size Apes on it? Maybe the Dyno Apes?

Back