wet sanding

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i read that everyone wetsands things.... well what the heck is wet sanding?! i see the sandpaper at the store and pick it up to buy it but put it back cuz i dont know how to wet sand i guess. any insight would be helpful on this.

also....i just painted my first frame(rattle cannin it baby!!) and i must say that i did a d@mn fine job! but its not a smooth high gloss finish like i was hoping for. the paint is kind of a deep copper color with gold flake in it and when i run my hand over the paint its almost like i can feel every little flake in the paint. what can i do to prevent that from happening again or is there anything i can do to my already painted frame that wont involve resanding the whole thing and starting over? please somebody help me!!!

Easy E

wet sanding allows you to sand more evenly, usually you just sit with a bucket of water, a sanding sponge wrapped in sandpaper and got to town. but if you do it just make sure theres plenty of water on the sanding surface most sandpaper is for wet/dry use but some isnt and the backing paper disintegrates.

as far as smoothing out the paint, did you clear over the paint ? have you tried using rubbing/polishing compound ?

no i havent clear coate it yet cuz ive been trying to be patient with this paint job. its been 4day ince i last put paint on it and its driving me crazy! ill probably clear coat it tonight though. as far as a rubbing compound or polishing stuff, what do you suggest? thanks bobba

Easy E

Man I am so glad you asked this question... I was thinking the same thing. I am just finishing up preparing my frame to paint so I needed to find this out too. On a side question, what paint are you using? I am working with what sounds like the same kind of paint... Brown/copper with metalic flake. What's the brand and name of the color?

Thanks!

im using rustoleum brand and its one of their metallic kinds. i believe the exact color is "caramel"(thats what it said on the shelf at least) but be careful zamn, after you have painted the bike, (if you really are using the same color) it wont appear to be the same color as said on the cap, from a distance it appears to be a rust color, but once you get it out in the sun!! man does it sparkle, you cant really see the gold flakes until your up close. my suggestion, always try on a sample piece before you fully commit to painting the whole thing!! good luck to you my man!!!

as for ccr, i did lay down a couple coats of clear last night and it seemed to make it a little better but im gonna try to use rubbing compound.

Easy E

You may be able to get the result you want with the rubbing compound, but wet sanding after you've got a few coats of clear on then using a polishing glaze works the best in my experience. I've never done it on a bicycle, but I build electric guitars and that's how I finish the bodies. I usually start with 1000 or 1500 grit and then finish with 2000. You can get a glass-like finish.

sking1973 said:
You may be able to get the result you want with the rubbing compound, but wet sanding after you've got a few coats of clear on then using a polishing glaze works the best in my experience. I've never done it on a bicycle, but I build electric guitars and that's how I finish the bodies. I usually start with 1000 or 1500 grit and then finish with 2000. You can get a glass-like finish.
I detail cars and wet sand scratches everyday.This is a good desciption of what to do.Use light pressure so you don't burn through your layers of paint.I usually put a couple drops of dish soap in my water to help move debris.Keep your suface wet and paper clean.Also make sure your paint is properly cured.It's alot easier to burn through soft paint.Your paint may duller after sanding but will come back with compound.When everything looks even with no scratches move on to the compound.When it's shiny and even use a cleaner wax to lift leftover compound and protect. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

thanks stig. i actually just cleared over it and it looks alot better. thanks everyone

Easy E

Latest posts

Back