western flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
wf1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] finally got my western flyer today. its been 2 weeks since I was shone a picture of it off a phone. took a chance and bought it then. im happy with it. anyone know the approx. year? value as it sits? I think maybe it is monarch built? wrong pedals, tires? did these come with middleweight tires? and mismatched rims? has a dropcenter on the back, serial number is under the bb, but I cant read it. thx for any help. sorry for the crappy pics:wondering:

It looks like a nice 50's Monarch built Western Flyer. Which rim isn't original is hard to tell from the pics, the rear hub name and closeup will help. Other than the bent rack and a few dings in the fenders, it looks very good. All the original paint and pinstripes look great and the bike should really stand out when cleaned and shined up. Since the handle grips don't show signs of hitting the ground and pedals look unblemished also, it was probably well taken care of. How to decipher the serial number? I have no clue, but it sure looks like a 50's bike. I understand Monarch used a plate for the number under the BB up to 1954, so yours may be mid to late 50s. Here's a similar bike.

MONSKY1-1_zpsq9z5u6sj.jpg

Last edited:
Your bike is very close to mine, only the graphics are different.

IMG_1397.JPG

Mine is a 1953. You are correct about it being Monark built. If you do a little sanding and get the serial, @Rustinkerer is the man to contact about the year. I would guess late 50's. It should have the same wheels front and rear. Nice bike!

thx for all the replies! I think its a 55-57. and a middleweight. adamtinkerer on the cabe same as rusttinkerer here? had good info. getting it ridable now. has bent cranks. must be the week of bent cranks..the rollfast I got last weekend had bent cranks too!:eek:

thx for all the replies! I think its a 55-57. and a middleweight. adamtinkerer on the cabe same as rusttinkerer here? had good info. getting it ridable now. has bent cranks. must be the week of bent cranks..the rollfast I got last weekend had bent cranks too!:eek:
Both me!

Good choice with the ww. It's looking great! If the ride seems a little off, it may be the slight bend in the forks. It needs to come forward just a small bit to be exact. But it may ride good enough just as it is.

Back