Well-Made,Bargain-Priced Beach Cruiser Recommendations?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey RRBerz! I floated this question before but now that I find myself finally having some B-Day $ in hand come September,I really need some solid recommendations for a decent,bargain-priced "beginner" beach cruiser-style bicycle. Most likely I will be buying from either "WallyWorld"(online or store),Target or...?

Basically I`m going to have around $100+ to spend on a sturdy,durable no-frills beach cruiser-style bicycle (ala Huffy,Op or Schwinn). I`ve read some excellent reviews(both on RRB and elsewhere) on some of the various makes and models that are offered at Wal-Mart,etc. This bike will mainly be used for urban/suburban transportation and exercise.Any modifications and/or upgrades planned will be minimal and functional(rear rack,nicer grips,"ape hanger" handlebars[?],nicer aftermarket seat,etc.). I`m hoping for something cool and "retro" looking but too fancy,mind you.

Since it`s been literally years since I owned a bike this should be a low-maintenance and user-friendly make/model.

Recommendations?

Thanks!!
Old Skool Mule

Peatbog said:
If you plan on riding a great deal and are looking for low maintenance, you might consider buying a good quality used bike off of Craigslist, instead of a low quality new bike from a department store.

I agree, the components you get on a $100 bike will not hold up to frequent use..

Also, steer clear of Micargi bikes at all costs!
They will cost you more in the long run due to frequent maintenance and part replacement.

+ 1 on the Craigslist suggestion. But if you just have to get a new cheap bike, tear down the hubs, bottom bracket, and head set to inspect and lube with a quality grease. I have seen several reports on here of greaseless bearings, metal shavings from manufacturing left in hubs, etc.

The lower quality bikes will make you happy if you take care of it.

Also the 2012 model start coming in mid September, so check for clearance prices. And check back for a couple Weeks after you buy, if they drop the price below what you paid they will typically refund the difference for two weeks to a month.

Definitely CL, I think even at $100 you could get a really good cruiser. I've seen many an Electra between 100-150 if you could swing a little more, or theres a ton of generic type cruisers under $100. Even those should be better than whats at Walmart.
Good luck on your search!

size matters! most low cost bike frames are shorter from the seat to the handlebars. craigslist or the for sale thread here. thrift stores,goodwill stores,garage sales.tag sales,etc post a wanted ad on the bulletin board at your local store.

Agree on craigslist, try to find an Electra or an older cruiser (& go through & grease everything well). Can't go wrong there but may take a little while to find what you want but you'll have a better bike than you will get at Wally world or Target. Even a good name $100 mountain bike off CL or yard sale would be better for the needs you stated. I have a Wally world Mongoose MTB I love to ride but too many other people run into problems with them, I've been one of the lucky few. Had it 4 years with no problems. Good luck in your search.

OP Roller :mrgreen:
mine has seen average of 40 miles a day.
had it about three months.still haven't
touched a thing maintenance wise.
thats 3,600 miles so far.

Dept. store Schwinns are usable, but with caveats. They are not actually Schwinns.They have the same generic coaster hubs that have been junking up cheap bikes for the past thirty years. It will need service (clean/lube/adjust) right out of the box. The frame is light and reasonably straight when you center the wheels in the stays, good enough for casual riding, too flexy for serious bashing. Just as well, the hub's not up to it either. I've had one for a couple of years that I ride now and then, maybe a few hundred miles, hit it with a spoke wrench once or twice. I still like it. I've been considering the possibility of trying one of the "Golden Wheel" "beach bike"s at K-Mart. The one on the rack looked straight. It's more like an old bike, heavier tubing with narrow down tube and chrome 1.75 rims. :arrow: 99.00 bucks + tax. Good luck. :wink:

clamdigger said:
size matters! most low cost bike frames are shorter from the seat to the handlebars. craigslist or the for sale thread here. thrift stores,goodwill stores,garage sales.tag sales,etc post a wanted ad on the bulletin board at your local store.

Amen to that! I could swear most of these bikes are meant for kids, or designed for the people who built them. Remember, the average male height in China is 4 inches less then in the U.S..

First time poster, short time lurker here. I just want to share my experience with Walmart bikes :x I purchased two bikes from Walmart, one for me and one for my girlfriend. I got myself the Genesis Onyx 29er and my girlfriend a Huffy Cranbrook. All the statements about tearing the department store bikes apart and lubing them before riding them at all are true. The bottom bracket in both these bikes had virtually no lube whatsoever and neither did the front or rear axles. The headsets were good to go. Within 20 or so days the spokes on the front wheel of my bike had become so loose that a few of them bent. I bought a spoke wrench, got them tight and after another week or so it was the same situation. The bottom brackets in both bikes started moaning and groaning like you wouldn't believe after about 2 weeks. The rear freewheel (I think.. the part that engages the rear axle when you pedal) locked up on my girlfriends bike after 3 weeks. We do ride our bikes every day but it's not like we are putting 40 miles on them at a time, more of a slow booze cruise or city crawl type of thing. They probably saw any where from 3-8 miles a day on average and both were returned in under 30 days because they were literally falling apart....

I'm sure it's not like this for everybody but I do think that if you plan on getting some real daily use out of your bike you should look elsewhere. I recently picked up a Nirve classic cruiser off Craigslist for $150 bucks and a Nirve Sunflower for my girl for $200, both used. So for just a little more money, we have bikes that are reliable and good looking.

I would try to save a few more bucks up, and take your time looking craigslist etc. You can do a lot with an old schwinn cruiser which are a dime a dozen here for $30 - $300 depending on condition. Seems like most of the ones I see in the $100 or more range are in good riding condition. If you are patient the right bike for the right price will come along.

Nice to meet you guys!

I picked up a 2004 Specialized Hardrock back in Spring for just over $200, got a tuneup and new brake cables put on for another $90. The closest thing I could find new with similar specs was $900. It runs like a champ. Very well worth cruising Craigslist. A good classic cruiser should be easy to pick up in the $100 range and will last far longer than most of the new stuff at Walmart and have personality.

I got a Schwinn Windwood a couple of years ago from TRU online. I took it forgranted that any bike should be lubed by the owner and did that soon. The bike has been problem free and I usually ride it every day sometimes for a few miles. All I have ever done is tire repair after punctures. I did upgarde the seat, grips and added lights. The bike has been great. I would like to have a bike with a springer fork and that is one draw back to the Schwinn. The head tube is very short and most springers are made for a taller head tube.

That said I think my next bike (should I ever need one) will be a Worksman. I like the idea they are US made and can be custom ordered. I did a mock buildup on their site the other day and the total came to $512! I check the CL everyday around here and see the same Chinese bikes available in the stores on most days.

Kevin B said:
That said I think my next bike (should I ever need one) will be a Worksman. I like the idea they are US made and can be custom ordered.

I never heard of Worksman before till this. Thanks for the tip! That may have to be my next bike was well. Can't beat a good, solid, US made frame! Look fantastic too!

Kevin B said:
That said I think my next bike (should I ever need one) will be a Worksman. I like the idea they are US made and can be custom ordered. I did a mock buildup on their site the other day and the total came to $512!
Check this one out too when you have some time...it's fun to daydream about my next build and kinda see what it'll look like. :wink:
http://www.villycustoms.com/index.php?o ... icle&id=14

StepChld said:
Kevin B said:
That said I think my next bike (should I ever need one) will be a Worksman. I like the idea they are US made and can be custom ordered. I did a mock buildup on their site the other day and the total came to $512!
Check this one out too when you have some time...it's fun to daydream about my next build and kinda see what it'll look like. :wink:

Looks like they assemble in Dallas. Do they build their own frames too? Sweet bikes!

My last 0.02 on this; if you want a well made new bike, plan on spending $350.00 or more. Whether all at once, or building up a "tosser" kind of depends on your personal disposition. A cheap new bike can work if you're at all mechanically inclined and aren't planning hard riding or distance, but a couple hundred more up front can buy you really nice geared bike, cruiser styled, even. 8)

hogzilla said:
StepChld said:
Kevin B said:

Looks like they assemble in Dallas. Do they build their own frames too? Sweet bikes!
No, they don't make the frames but rather they import them. Some come from Germany and I forget where else. Fleetwood told me the name one time a few years ago but I've slept since then :wink:
They are a great place to deal with and he works very hard to please.

For the money,... these are very good bikes.

http://www.firemansbikes.com/

Made in the U.S.A., AND cross promoting with a brewery also here in Texas. I mean, come-on-man, it does not get better than that.

http://www.firemansbikes.com/no4.htm

Cup holder is probably extra though.....

Cheers!

On a more realistic note: Don't buy some substandard Chinese POS. search high and low on CL, in your newspapers classifieds, and go to garage sales. Sooner or later you will find a decent American cruiser for under 100 bones. Then, rebuild the sucker and make it your own.

That's my best advice.

You guys are opening a whole new world to me! LOL

LOVE the bottle opener. I'm priced out of the Fireman's bikes, but, man are those sweet!

Also, I completely agree with Lucky Strike's advice. Cruising CL I found several options that could be great. After finding and rebuilding my "garbage bike." I couldn't agree more to this advice. After giving it a top down cleaning and rebuild, it runs better than most new Chinese bikes and it's built like a tank. You're giving an old bike new life and have a heck of a conversation piece. I get comments and compliments all the time on mine.

Back