Wanting to build a klunker. Need a Schwinn DX, preferably tall but if not I will make due.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So it has begun. The addiction. The sleepless nights building a Klunker in your mind over and over, counting klunkers to try and fall asleep. The countless manufactures, frames, parts, and patina all bombing and screeching down the mountainside in the background. I have had no luck finding a tall dx or similar Schwinn built frame/fork/truss rods combos in my searches, so I turn my self to you all of the intellect on RRB. What I believe I am looking for would be a pre-war Schwinn DX or something similar. BF goodrich….etc. I would like the original paint to be there with not to much rust so I can clean it up and clear it to preserve it. My preference would be a blue and white frame. Any ideas? Any advice? I have seen a few recently such as these,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261719161553?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161541857508?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351272512016?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Pre...prg=20140725133649&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=381105263230

I am assuming finding a tall version is going to be quite the task, but I am willing to work with something else if the price is right. Again, thank you anybody and everyone for any advice or direction.

Tall frames show up from time to time, but they always come at a premium price.... The Klunkerz movie has us all chasing DX frames, but the real hott prewar klunk frame (in my opinion) is the Model C:
36_tf01.jpg

(Not my bike; just a hott one I pulled off of MTBR)
The Model C has the highest BB, and the rockin'-hott straight downtube. These were the frames that Cook Brothers used to perfect the geometry on their racing 26 frame.... and they just look so mean!

PS- there's a couple of Colson tall frames (20" seat tube, longer chainstays) on eBay, but they both have rewelds where the seat tube meets the BB shell... seems like that's a common weak spot in those particular Colsons, but I will say that the Colson "rainbow" frames are the most easily-found tallboy frames from that era.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pre...797?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f20a7ffd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PRE...prg=20131017132637&rk=4&rkt=4&sd=111434956797

The repair on the cheaper frame actually looks better than on the red one.... Not sure I'd klunk either of those, but maybe you can find a more solid example?

It gets to the point, do you really need a $5000 klunker? Price of the frame is just the begining. Everyone is chasing the same few parts, to make it right is going to cost a bunch. Guess I would suggest instead of wasting time and money buying a damaged frame, start with a cheaper ladies frame. They have the taller head tube and are usually in better condition. Cut and paste to get the BB and geometry where it belongs. Collect all the other pieces parts and when the "right" frame shows up, swap them over.
This one may be too nice to hack, but something like it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-WAR-SCH...021?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9f30ed6d

The only problem with that logic (Girl's frame that is) is now if you can't weld yourself, how much are you going to end up spending to put together a temporary frame? I don't know how tall the OP is, but yes that may well be the way to go if an actual DX frame is gonna be that small on him. The good news is if you build a Klunker with all the period pieces there is a market (Left coast) for them, especially if done correctly. So you at least stand a chance of recouping your money... crazy prices, but try to find a cheap set of Atom drum hubs! I was considering doing one up with all the correct pieces, only affordable piece I could find was a 7 speed derailleur!

The savvy move for someone who wants to klunk on the cheap is to get a late model industrial bike, build it as trail-ready as your budget allows, and enjoy the ride. It seems goofy, to me, to go for "authenticity" on a klunker build. It's 2015; times have changed. Those guys, back then, took prewar balloon bikes and used motorcycle and french tandem parts (among other things) b/c that was the best they had back then. They weren't trying to be "authentic"; most of the 70s guys in Marin wanted to find ways to make progress with MTBs--- and they most likely would have traded in their Excelsior-badged DX bikes in a heartbeat to get their hands on the trail-machines being produced today.... The main thing that mattered to them was getting down the trail the fastest. It wasn't intended to be a fashion statement.

How "authentic" can the klunker-replica be, when the impetus behind the build is so far removed from the original klunker guys' motivation?

What motivates me? I like to take'r easy on the trail, using minimal technology--- OR, I like to see how far I can push the tech envelope within the primitive context of a 3-bar balloon bike.

... They weren't trying to be "authentic"; most of the 70s guys in Marin wanted to find ways to make progress with MTBs--- and they most likely would have traded in their Excelsior-badged DX bikes in a heartbeat to get their hands on the trail-machines being produced today.... The main thing that mattered to them was getting down the trail the fastest...
Well of course, that logic pretty much holds true for anyone who was being mechanically propelled as fast as possible... but it doesn't stop folks from spending thousands to replicate the past. There's a couple of ways to look at it, it all depends on what the builder is going for, are you building a "Klunker" to just hit the trails in the spirit of Mt Tam, or are you looking to authentically replicate a 70's klunker as close as possible to what they were tearing down Mt Tam on? Sure you aren't going to find a frame with a lineage that was used by Gary Fisher or any of those guys from the 70's like you can buy and restore a race car. There was though a somewhat established and documented formula as far components that they used. And granted, if "I" were building a Klunker with all the correct stuff they used back then I'm not sure I'd be willing to hammer it on the trails any way based on the money invested (Trees don't say "excuse me").
So to reiterate, I think it all depends on the objective of the builder... personally, I prefer my nimble 21.5 lb., 30 speed XT geared, front suspension (only), Motobecane Team Pro to tossing a 40 lb. tree stump remover around!

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. It's a complicated thing, b/c you can take a DX and restore it to factory spec, OR you can take a DX and try to replicate what was essentially a "tuner" bike from the 70s... or you can try to build something in the spirit of that tuner bike, which if you're going to actually klunk it, you're probably not going to wanna do it on a bike that you invested thousands in.

I ride a comparatively modern mtb (3x9, v-brakes, full-rigid, 26"--- actually, it's a dinosaur compared to modern mtbs, but it's lightyears ahead of a singlespeed coaster-brake 3 -bar klunker, so...) and I like that for some kinds of riding, but I enjoy tossing 40lb stump-removers around the trails on other rides, too. If I ever built up an "authentic" klunker, based on a prewar Schwinn frame with all 70s parts, I'd feel nervous to take it on the trails, but I suppose others feel no compunction about doing that. Different strokes, for different folks....

My point is, if I have one: for only a little bit of scratch, one can take a retired industrial frame, add some mtb tires and BMX bits, and klunk on the cheap, without worrying about ruining irreplaceable vintage parts, or wasting a lot of money. It won't be an "authentic" bike, but it's a fairly authentic experience....

I do not feel strongly about anything that has been said so far. It just seems to me if you have to weld up an expensive damaged frame, just go all in and do a sex change and add the straight bar. Also easier to cut down a long truss rod fork and rethread, than lengthen. Am afraid the OP is asking for a miracle. I sure wouldn't revel where to find an orginal paint, tall, cheap DX, or C for that matter. Not until long after it was in my shop being built, Would you? Those bicycles were difficult for them to find 40 years ago. Am somewhat torn between the straight and curved lower bar.
I do feel one beauty of nostalgia is you can look back, pick & choose the "golden" spot in the progress for yourself. Coaster brake, single speed? no thank you. Carbon Fibre/Titanium suspended Space Shuttle components? nope. The "authentic" '77-'79 klunker just looks right, like a real bike to me. Similar to a 1970 Pro-Stock drag car, real deal. 1971 tube frame Vega or Pinto with an engine that never came in it? Not so much. Part of it is also a bit of hero worship, try to have something like them to emulate, a touchstone.
It also sorta bugs me when you see modern things that are passed of as "just like they used" when you know it is not. Tiger Woods is an excellent golfer, is he better than Ben Hogan? Lets send him out on the "Old Course" with some hickory shafted clubs that are not bigger than his head. Wait, think I got off track and wrecked my train.

FYI:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...lsior-tall-frame-schwinn-b10-motorbike.89827/

So it has begun. The addiction. The sleepless nights building a Klunker in your mind over and over, counting klunkers to try and fall asleep. The countless manufactures, frames, parts, and patina all bombing and screeching down the mountainside in the background. I have had no luck finding a tall dx or similar Schwinn built frame/fork/truss rods combos in my searches, so I turn my self to you all of the intellect on RRB. What I believe I am looking for would be a pre-war Schwinn DX or something similar. BF goodrich….etc. I would like the original paint to be there with not to much rust so I can clean it up and clear it to preserve it. My preference would be a blue and white frame. Any ideas? Any advice? I have seen a few recently such as these,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261719161553?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161541857508?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351272512016?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Prewar-Frame-Colson-Hawthorne-Schwinn-Prewar/261693669687?_trksid=p2060778.c100276.m3476&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140725133649&meid=6ed53e29e9044479827b859ac924fa41&pid=100276&prg=20140725133649&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=381105263230

I am assuming finding a tall version is going to be quite the task, but I am willing to work with something else if the price is right. Again, thank you anybody and everyone for any advice or direction.

Found this thread, just doing a bit of reading, and research for my own build. I suppose I can agree with almost everything said in this thread. Myself, it's the old motobike style frame that get's me going. Already have a decent play bike for some on-off trail use, so I wanted something more urban, that could go off road when the mood strikes. My frame ended up being a botched sex change, so I have exactly zero guilt for what I'm doing to it now. Not likely what anyone else would do, I realize, but probably the best course for this study. My donor is a 2014 Specialized Crosstrail. The guys at the local bike shop have already hoorahed me to the gills about stripping it for parts, and hanging it all on the Frankenstien frame I've created, but I don't care. When it's done, it will be ridable, almost as light, and surely a one off. Good enough for me, controversy is not always a bad thing, lol...

Back