Want to organize

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to organize a cycle swap meet or more like a bike related community garage sale at my place this summer but I have no idea where to start. Also, talking with some relatives, the idea that it might kill my summer hobby came to mind. I would like this sale to be only one week end.
Ideally I would like people to come sale bikes, trikes, tandems, etc... also parts, vintage, posters, calendars, anything that as to do with non motorized cycles, wheezers would be welcome. If I could have a charity fund too it would a be a plus.
Anyone can direct me?

As far as a Swap meet, fairly easy to do. Doesnt cost a bunch either.

Location: find a location that will be big enough for several years, Then figure out what you need to do to make it legal. Public spaces are the best, and it never hurts to check with the local chamber of commerce or city hall.

Once you find a suitable location... Pick a catchy name for it then advertise the crap out of it, Make a website for it, Craigslist, Facebook, Forums, make a flyer print it off and put them at all the local bike shops, AND other local businesses... you want BUYERS too... not just sellers.

And of course it never hurts to have a bunch of cool local guys that are into the old bike scene.

Cost... Depending on what the city will charge you for renting the space? First year cost should be less than $100 it also depends on if you have to pay for any advertising, Free ads are cool, but not as many people pay any attention to them. Any actual profits I make... I try to roll it back into the event, I also try to keep it cheap for the sellers... I charge $5 a spot.

If you keep it simple it really doesnt take much work to put it on, just try to plan ahead... start small and grow it each year.

Go for it!!!

Eclipse said:
I live on an acreage between a small town and a big town. I was thinking using 2-3 acres portion of my land to do it. It's easy access as there's an access from the main road.
Should I run a survey to see if people are interested first?
From my own experience with bike events.
First I agree with everything Mitch said.
I don't think a survey will help. People say they will participate but then not show. Others won't even see the survey.
The only way to know is to give it a shot. Better to try and fail that not try at all and never know. If it doesn't work you'll mostly be out your time.
Even though your home location is free it might deter people from coming. I think people are more likely to come if it's in town at a public space.

Latest posts

Back