WalMart DunRite

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I saw this Genesis Astra with 7 speeds, 29" rims and aluminum frame It seemed to be a good starting point for a man sized build.

Here's what you do to a Wal Mart bike...
1) take the dopey stickers off
2) go paw through your collection of parts
3) keep the frame, wheel set, shifter and grips- get rid of everything else
4) properly lube, tighten and adjust
5) assemble from step 2
6) bob the rear fender, ditch the front
7) prep the braking surface on the rim and get some real brake pads
8) throw some pinstripes on

I had a bottom bracket that fit and I went from 165 to 170 mm crank arms. It was under-geared with a 36 tooth chainwheel. A 44 tooth sprocket fixed that. I used an old Girvin Flex-Stem just because its kinda neat and a pair of cut down cruiser bars (originals were too big and too flexy). The derailleur was a joke and the seat post too short by 6"- I'm glad I never throw stuff away. I'm still looking for the right seat but this one works for now.

In general, 29" wheels interfere with the lines of a bike to me. However, you have integrated everything very nicely and it looks great. I have a flex stem in my parts bin too (made by Salsa, I think). I think it's time I cleaned up that old flex stem and used it on a nice vintage MTB or cruiser.

The geometry of the frame and the angle and length of the bars don't really allow the Flexstem to do it's thing but it looks way better than the multi-angle goofiness that came in the box.

I'm quite taken with the aesthetics of dirt track motorcycles of all vintages. The 29" rims bring some of that together as flattrackers have to run big ol' 19" wheels front and back. The bobbed fender and cruiser bars cut down 1.5" on each side lend a little flat track as well.

I hope to figure out a way to get my Girvin cross link fork to work with those 29ers.

The Girvin fork would probably work if you limited the suspension travel. You would need a threadless headset too. The biggest issue would be that the rim brake on the Girvin would not fit the 29er wheel.

wheelbender6 said:
In general, 29" wheels interfere with the lines of a bike to me.

It all depends what the lines are 8)

IMG_0256_zps89139b3a.jpg~original

Back