Walmart columbia 700c

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Has anyone rode or owned the columbia bicycle with 700c wheels at Walmart for $108??? I ask because I'm thinking of buying one only for the wheels to use on a 1920s motobike I want to make a rider out of. $108 for the wheels alone is good plus tires and tubes included. Are the wheels worthy enough or junk like most Walmart products. Thanks a bunch for any info

It depends on what you want out of your bike. I started building my own wheels quite awhile back when I could not get what I wanted in a set of wheels. I haven't looked back- you end up with the best quality wheels suited exactly the way you want them when you choose to build instead of buy.

I would get a set of Velocity P35 or Velocity Blunt rims in 700c, then lace them to vintage hubs, or at least the hubs of your choice. You'll get a knockout set of wheels for a reasonable amount of money. The value to price ratio is much better when you build. You may not come out "cheaper" than the Walmart wheels, but you'll certainly get more bang for each buck you do spend.

Walmart doesn't make the bike. They just sell them. So you get what ever cheap or quality bike they purchase from their vendor.

It depends on what you want out of your bike. I started building my own wheels quite awhile back when I could not get what I wanted in a set of wheels. I haven't looked back- you end up with the best quality wheels suited exactly the way you want them when you choose to build instead of buy.

I would get a set of Velocity P35 or Velocity Blunt rims in 700c, then lace them to vintage hubs, or at least the hubs of your choice. You'll get a knockout set of wheels for a reasonable amount of money. The value to price ratio is much better when you build. You may not come out "cheaper" than the Walmart wheels, but you'll certainly get more bang for each buck you do spend.
I 100% agree with what you're saying and ultimately that's my plan, the bike im talking about already has wood clad wheels with single tube tires original to the bike. But alls im trying to do is find a cheap solution for when I want to take the bike out I can swap wheels.id rather ride 10 miles on cheap 700c wheels then risk the wear and tear on nearly 100 year old tires. My main issue is im a working class single dad raising two daughters completely alone. I have to count my pennies on these bikes so for the price the wheels make sense and are affordable but before I spend any money on a pacific product I gotta take an analytical approach and make sure it's not a waste of money.

If you go that route, do a test roll, and be sure that you service the hubs and tension the spokes before you do more than that. Some box store bikes are passable for casual use, but sometimes they come pre-damaged.:banghead:

Haha
If you go that route, do a test roll, and be sure that you service the hubs and tension the spokes before you do more than that. Some box store bikes are passable for casual use, but sometimes they come pre-damaged.:banghead:
yea that's a given I always go through parts no matter who I get em from. I'm not looking to ride the wheels daily I can ride a different bike daily from my addiction I mean collection. Thanks for the replys fellas I appreciate it

Keep looking around, put an ad in your local shopper mag "I want junk adult bikes" and you might luck out.. Or Wanted, Junk Bike with 700C wheels.

I picked up a Wallyworld Schwinn today, had a 700C front tire and rim.. Cost? Under $5. Nice lookin red tire on it too.

Edit: Daggone it! I fixed the bike enough to ride and now I want to find either a kickback 2 speed or a 3 speed back wheel for the bike.. It rides pretty nice on the front 700 tire and it looks like I can stuff a rear one in there too as long as I don't get silly with fenders.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys everyone. I found a used schwinn with 700c coaster brake wheels that are also 36 spoke holes for $40. I'm gonna get it later today and replace it with a new departure hub and hit the concrete!!!! But I'd still like input from anyone who's personally experienced the columbia 700c bike for my own curiosity. Thanks again everyone I owe each and every one of you a beer if you ever find yourself in Las Vegas!!

Thanks for the replys everyone. I found a used schwinn with 700c coaster brake wheels that are also 36 spoke holes for $40. I'm gonna get it later today and replace it with a new departure hub and hit the concrete!!!! But I'd still like input from anyone who's personally experienced the columbia 700c bike for my own curiosity. Thanks again everyone I owe each and every one of you a beer if you ever find yourself in Las Vegas!!

If you are trying to get out for minimal money, this is exactly the way to do it. I think this will work out nicely.

Back