VW question for all you experts...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw something about how you could swap hoods and fenders from an earlier 60s bug to a newer one. My lady wants to get one, and those pre 67 bugs are kinda pricey. But I see lots of 68 up ones for cheap. Also learned from this site that the Super Beetles have a bunch of different parts which are a pain to work on, so I'll avoid those. I just like the look of the earlier herbie era bugs, with the pointier hood, long fenders, and engine cover with that bump running down the middle. So, dub xeperts, what'll fit what? ~Adam

66 and earlier fenders will fit all regular beetles, the decklid will swap too, but you would need to switch the apron to match.

And I think the hood might be the same story, not exactly sure since Ive never swapped one.

Ratfink is correct, you would have to graft on a pre 67 front and rear apron to use the early hood and decklid. You also need to make sure you aren't trying to convert a super beetle vs. a standard. There are major differnces between the supers and the stds and they are harder to convert to the early look.
The cool thing about converting a 68+ std beetle is that you get IRS and a balljoint front end that is really easy to convert to front discs.
If you haven't checked out HOTVWs magazine then you should, also a cool website is http://www.thesamba.com

Yep,he'll hafta swap aprons too. The Superbeetles have strut front suspension,and a wider nose (from '73 on they also had a curved windsheild instead of a flat one). They ride a little better and have a (very) little more room in em. I've had both over the years (been a while,but I've had 2 Supers,11 standards),and miss having one. I want a bus now,tho...for mtn bike hauling/camping reasons :wink:

Bottom line is....find an early one. The Samba has a great classified section. For the amount of work you'll end up doing to "make" an early, you could find a nice one.

Hey Adam,
What you are considering has been done hundreds of times . . . it's very possible. Those aprons are fairly inexpensive and would probably need replacing even if you spent the big bucks on an earlier model! They are spot welded to the body, so check the web (Harbor Freight Tools) for a spot-weld drill to remove the old parts. Depending on how far you want to go with the transformation, you could swap the gas tank for an early tank and weld-in the gas flap on the front quarter, and also remove the padded dash cover. I think the 1968 is still a swing-axle rear.

This car is exactly what you're thinking about. It's a 68 with early fenders, bumpers, apron, lids, and early bolt pattern drums.
bikes-19.jpg

necessaryevil, your Bug is rad.

I honestly don't see the point of paying a mint for a 65-66 if you can "fake" it for less. My plan is to find a baja, buy the front and rear repro clips and use pre-67 fenders to build it back closer to stock, and then put it on the ground of course. I've even considered taking a flat-windshield Super and cutting the whole nose off and use pre-67 replacement panels. For the suspension I'd either go with a narrowed beam, or just move the strut towers in about 6" inches on each side. Yeah, I know it's not that straightforward.

I spend too much time on the Kustom Coach Werks website.

Make sure you fill in the vents behind the quarter windows to complete the illusion.

OK I guess it's only cheap if you are doing the work yourself. I can't seem to find a pre-67 beater for less than $2000, and I know I could find a dead baja for next to nothing, make it run, and buy all the sheetmetal for much less than that. Any bug I get will end up getting slammed so it makes more sense to cut up a piece of junk than to start with something nice that I paid a ton of money for.

Drilling out spot welds is easy. Welding can be had for the price of a six-pack if you have a buddy who welds. To remove and replace fenders all you need is a wrench and some Liquid Wrench.

rocky mountian motor works sells a conversion kit to do just what you are thinking of doing.

Any bug I get will end up getting slammed so it makes more sense to cut up a piece of junk than to start with something nice that I paid a ton of money for.
I hear that! About the same situation here. I also found a cool website, volksrods.com. They have some pretty radical stuff on there! ~Adam

i prefer em with a stretched front suspension setup (about 10" forward) .. no fenders .. and no front and rear apron ... got a 70 model sitting in my garage waiting for me to do just that ...

will be putting an early model hood and decklid on it tho ...

-Devil- said:
i prefer em with a stretched front suspension setup (about 10" forward) .. no fenders .. and no front and rear apron ... got a 70 model sitting in my garage waiting for me to do just that ...

will be putting an early model hood and decklid on it tho ...

I'm positive you'd told me (maybe sent pics),but dude,I honestly have no memory of that! (that's not uncommon w/ me lately :| ). Should be a kool and fun project!!! I wish I had another one :(

Back