Virginia Creeper Trail....Anyone interested?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's a cool biking/hiking trail (actually a paved path) in the Virginia mountains bordering NC and TN that is built on an old railroad bed. It tuns from Whitetop (neat the NC/TN/VA border) west to Abington, VA for a total of 34 miles. I thought it would be a cool venue to have a get-together and leisure ride. It's almost completely downhill from Whitetop and is quite picturesque, with waterfalls, trellis paths, and overlooks. As for physical exertion, my dad did it last year at 70 years young. He's not a cyclist at all, but is relatively active.

My family is thinking hard about making the 8+ hour trip for a ride. I think it'd be cool to set a date and make it a "RRB Downhill Dololly".

Anybody game?

That looks fun. I love rail trails not only for great places to ride but for the history that they preserve.

Definitely leave a vehicle at the destination point! 1800 feet of climb is alot, even in 100 miles, much less 15!

brett4christ said:
There's a cool biking/hiking trail (actually a paved path) in the Virginia mountains bordering NC and TN that is built on an old railroad bed. It tuns from Whitetop (neat the NC/TN/VA border) west to Abington, VA for a total of 34 miles. I thought it would be a cool venue to have a get-together and leisure ride. It's almost completely downhill from Whitetop and is quite picturesque, with waterfalls, trellis paths, and overlooks. As for physical exertion, my dad did it last year at 70 years young. He's not a cyclist at all, but is relatively active.

My family is thinking hard about making the 8+ hour trip for a ride. I think it'd be cool to set a date and make it a "RRB Downhill Dololly".

Anybody game?

I live in Bristol,VA and ride it fairly often when the trail surface/injuries/weather permits...I'd be in if you guys set a date :) Y'all should know though,it is not,nor has it ever been a "PAVED bike path",it's dirt,peat gravel and such,at least from Abingdon to Damascus (as far as I normally ride out and back) :wink:

Hmmm....maybe I should make an intro post,eh? :p :lol:

Revived from the dead.

Family vacation next week and I'll be riding this trail, they have shuttle services, so I am going to get some information on that since I'll have my family of 5, 4 riders and 1 passenger on a tag-along converted to "non pedal."

Might see you there then...I do know a bud and me are riding dirt somewhere Saturday (IF we ride pavement Friday,which there are plans to do),dunno if it's Creeper or singletrack though. Either way,hope you have an awesome ride :D

DisabledCyclist said:
Might see you there then...I do know a bud and me are riding dirt somewhere Saturday (IF we ride pavement Friday,which there are plans to do),dunno if it's Creeper or singletrack though. Either way,hope you have an awesome ride :D

Cool, thanks.

Last year on vacation I took my wife's bike with the tag-along, a bike each for the "older" kids, my tall bike, and my Higgins build-off bike.

This year, I'm not really sure yet of which bikes to bring for me. I'm thinking my fat bike and a Klunker... or maybe my fixie and klunker... or possibly... I don't know.

LOL,I feel you! A LOT of times I've actually wound up at least late for a ride (or missed it )cause I was racking my brains on what to take/ride (I've missed model car buildoffs/contests because I kept changing my mind what to build too,LOL) :p

Not 100% yet,but was chatting with my riding bud late last night on FB,we may be hitting trail (whether Creeper or singetrack) Friday to avoid the crouds. If we DON'T cross paths (whether we know'd it or not anyways),will be wishing y'all a great ride :D

I've been meaning to get up there. I'm told it's about 1.5 hours from my house. If a date gets set I'd likely be in. I just transferred for work and unsure about asking for days off, but shouldn't be an issue.

Now Mtn Airy I'm very familiar with...from '98 until '07 I drove for Ralph Hardy out of Siloam :D

(from '98 until my co-driver totaled my truck with me in the back of it I was leased on to Hardy Brothers,then Ralph was kind enough to offer a new Pete of his to drive as a company driver until the Federal D.O.T. put me out of work 12-08)

Back