Vintage Varsity build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So after the patina EBay fixie I decided I wanted something older. I've been keeping my eye on Craigslist and viola!!! A few frames came up for sale. This Schwinn Varsity being one of them. I jumped on it! The bottom bracket already has the adapter for 3 piece cranks which actually paid for the bike!!

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the paint on there or not yet. Has the head badge and actually all the rest I was going to strip off anyway so here is a good start for me.

I ordered a Freedom Econoline seat in white that has the vintage style brown, light brown, tan stripes on it so I am keeping it brown. Maybe get some minor pin stripping added...?

Hmmm that's sounds like a good combo too.... So far I'm looking for white parts (cranks, rims and bar wrap). Also going to try to find a vintage 44, 46 or 48 chain ring. Attach that to a modern 3 piece crank set (in white) and then the old school style pedals in chrome with toe straps in white leather... Too many ideas, not enough time!! lol

So as I was poking around Craiglist I found a guy with a set of white rims. He also had an 80's Fuji Lugged frame he was building a fixie out of. So it all got shoved into the car and dragged home. I have some serious plans for the Fuji that will take some serious time and some money to finish up. In the mean time I did a quick mock up of this one with white wheels and like it. Issue is the rims are scratched and need to be refinished and a few spokes are bent so looks like I get to dive into a respoke session... I've done it on Harley wheels and hate it. Oh well.

looks good
keep it lean & clean

I'm digging the paint as it is the more I stare it down. I might strip and repaint it with root beer micro flake, repaint "Schwinn" & "Varsity" in a pearl white to match what the wheels refinished would be and clear coat it under a few coats of auto clear.... I think I might have gone too deep in this one mentally, but I think it'll be one sweet ride when she's done...

I'm digging the paint as it is the more I stare it down. I might strip and repaint it with root beer micro flake, repaint "Schwinn" & "Varsity" in a pearl white to match what the wheels refinished would be and clear coat it under a few coats of auto clear.... I think I might have gone too deep in this one mentally, but I think it'll be one sweet ride when she's done...
That paint idea sounds awesome!

Luke.

The more I look at it, the more I just wanna ride it... I can always strip it later when I get the wheels rebuilt and steal the black wheels off the other bike...

;););)I have been quietly hoarding parts the last week or so. The white wheels I have on hand has a bent spoke, the front hub looks like it could use a rebuild and I have an 1980's Fuji frame on hand so I am gonna hold those until this is done and try to rebuild them at that time. I found a local set of flip/flop State Bicyle Co. wheels that look like they will fit the bill nicely. However will need a light sanding and heavy painting to match this build as they are flat black. I also have a seat post and clamp almost here (Thank you Robert!). Once I have them in hand I will give a little elbow grease to them. I have a crankset I got off Amazon which leaves me with a few bits here and there. I saw a set of white bar wraps at the local bike shop in the clearance bin. I'll grab those and a white chain while I'm there. Last thing will be the rubber and tubes. I would like a set of the ThickSlick's but we'll see what comes into my garage first. I want to just ride it, but I also want to make it look nice. Maybe ride a few weeks until I can get the paint selected and in hand then I'll strip it down for the paint. I have a few little tricks up my sleeve for this bike that has been justly named "Root Beer Float" oh and the last thing on the list I forgot to mention that's on its way is the pedals. I found a polycarbonate set on Amazon that are a translucent cola swirl.

Inching along... Didn't have time to spray the new rims this last weekend so progress had been slow. Anyway, got the seat post and clamp in and hit the local bike shop for the clamp to hold the seat onto the post. While I was there I picked up some bar wrap. Tonight I decided on a quick little mock up. Seat will not sit this high but I needed to see it. Oh and for anybody who may want to do white seats and bar wraps, keep in mind it's a pain in the ... to keep clean!!
So just waiting on wheel paint, chain and pedals. Then assembly and ride!!! Looks like I am going with a 2.82 gear ratio. Hopefully this will suit my riding. Oh and there will be no brakes, fixed gear. Rims do not have braking surface and they won't fit anyway lol!

This will look super clean with no brakes and cables! :rockout:
A tip for the white: keep a magic eraser around for quick and easy wipe offs. They work great!

Sorry there hasn't been any progress, the little lady warned me to quit ordering and buying parts until after Christmas. Just so happens jolly old St. Nick dropped some parts my way!! Looks like I'll be done with building by Sunday as long as I can get a white chain by then!!

Back