Vintage Elgin Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When clearing out my Grandfather's garage I found this sweet vintage Elgin. I've done a whole bunch of research on it, and have come up flat. The only thing I'm sure of is that it's 50s. I want to sell it, but I don't know if its worth fixing it up first or just selling it as is? I don't even know what to sell it for. If anybody can help me out with any information they have, I would be grateful. I've already tried the links provided in the sticky topic to no avail. Thanks so much guys.

20110603232831.jpg

20110603232850.jpg

20110603232909.jpg

20110603232936.jpg

20110603232947.jpg

20110603233023.jpg

balboa732 said:
50'??????????? Ah, no. Try 30's and prepare to get paid

That headbadge isn't a 50s? Also, I've been noticing the Elgin logo on my bike isn't the same as anything I see from 10s-40s. Also I found a sears boat catalog online from the 50s where the boats bear the same elgin logo.

Elgins weren't made in the 50's. I have a 1935, 1938 and a 1939. They don't look like yours .It looks like a 36 or a 37 to me.

:shock: Too cool. I know it's worth a good bit, but not confident enough to throw out a value. You're asking the people who want to buy it what it's worth......I'll give you $400 :wink:

harquahalas said:
:shock: Too cool. I know it's worth a good bit, but not confident enough to throw out a value. You're asking the people who want to buy it what it's worth......I'll give you $400 :wink:

Yea, I understand. I didn't really come here to sell, more to get answers about the bike. I was thinking about selling locally, or possibly having it restored and then attempting to sell it. Or maybe even keep it, I certainly want it but I think I could use money more. But I mean it's on the market I suppose so if people want to make offers I'll consider it.

You'll for sure get more money for it as it sits. Proper restore will be in the $1000 plus range I think and improper restore would reduce it's value. It looks pretty nice for it's age in the pics.

harquahalas said:
You'll for sure get more money for it as it sits. Proper restore will be in the $1000 plus range I think and improper restore would reduce it's value. It looks pretty nice for it's age in the pics.

Alright, well I will leave it as it sits, These two are pretty similar too, the top one being the most similar, although I highly doubt the guy is going to get 1300 for his bike:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Elgin-tank- ... 2c5d0e1de4

http://cgi.ebay.com/1920s-Elgin-Cardina ... 27bb7731bc

Also I'm located in Philadelphia, PA

Well, if you figure out what you want and you are willing to ship, let me know. You'll have to take it apart a little for shipping, so you may prefer to sell locally if you can anyway....Yeah, I guess you already said that :D

harquahalas said:
Well, if you figure out what you want and you are willing to ship, let me know. You'll have to take it apart a little for shipping, so you may prefer to sell locally if you can anyway....Yeah, I guess you already said that :D

I could also probably deliver myself to save on shipping if it's within 5 hours driving, I know these bikes cost a bit to ship them.

I think $400 is a really fair offer for that bike and about $100 more than I would have offered. Sell it to harq so it has a good home! 8) Gary

B607 said:
I think $400 is a really fair offer for that bike and about $100 more than I would have offered. Sell it to harq so it has a good home! 8) Gary

I'll post it on the for sale list when I decide exactly what I want to do with it (With MUCH better pictures). I really appreciate everybody's feedback so far. I'm going to keep doing a little more research, a guy from a museum who I e-mailed told me it was early 30s.

Giveaways as to the year are the rounded fenders (newer than '35), paint scheme, looks like 26" balloon, dogleg crank to accomodate the wider rear axle, rear fender bridge being round and wider. I bet Phil could help as well. nice bike!

Joe

Lavagasm said:
When clearing out my Grandfather's garage I found this sweet vintage Elgin. I've done a whole bunch of research on it, and have come up flat. The only thing I'm sure of is that it's 50s. I want to sell it, but I don't know if its worth fixing it up first or just selling it as is? I don't even know what to sell it for. If anybody can help me out with any information they have, I would be grateful. I've already tried the links provided in the sticky topic to no avail. Thanks so much guys.

20110603232831.jpg

20110603232850.jpg

20110603232909.jpg

20110603232936.jpg

20110603232947.jpg

20110603233023.jpg

I agree with balboa and yeshoney, it is a "later" motorbike.

I have seen that badge on many early 40's models but could be as early as late 30's. I sent a PM, and am crossing my fingers!

That bike is a gem and I would ask $500 for it, as it sits, but be prepared to ship it if you want all the money. Parted out, you would get even more money, but people will cringe if you tell them that.

All it seems to need is tires and a chain. The tank looks real nice and is worth a big chunk all by itself. Same with the seat...very desireable type.

Back