Vintage Cars/Trucks Left To Rot....PIC HEAVY..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife works as a caretaker for the elderly. She is presently caring for a 90 year old man who is dying soon. The entire property is nothing but old cars everywhere. Sheds full to the roof with everything you can imagine but mostly car related. This stuff has sat for years. Note the Mustang and GTO. That station wagon is up on a steel deck probably used for service and has sat there so long the tires are rotted. The family wont sell it and will probably never do anything with it but selling ANYTHING is out of the question. This is only a sample but enjoy.

You can forget about that GTO or anything else you see there. They wouldnt sell you a nut and bolt no matter how much money you offered. Everything there will sit where it is until the end of time and never used again.

wheelhorseman said:
You can forget about that GTO or anything else you see there. They wouldnt sell you a nut and bolt no matter how much money you offered. Everything there will sit where it is until the end of time and never used again.

Yeah I know how that goes, there are a few places like that here in Indiana. One in Windfall he will sell but it's all at retail times 10. Another here in town the guy won't sell a thing and he's got some killer stuff, mostly old 60's and 70's muscle cars and Impalas. He's got at least 2 Impalas from every year from '59-'68. I did talk him into a trading off a car once but I was told by his neighbor of 30+ years that was the first car that left that property EVER and I gave him the better end of the trade.

Theres a bunch more out in the bushes and weeds. The home is the same way. Crap stacked to the ceiling. I will never understand those kinda people.

You know people should go to jail for things like this! How would they like it to be sat out in the weather for 50 years? It doesn't feel good does it? People like this make me sick and make my blood boil. How can these old people of the 50s hot roding days expect young people in their 20s now to get into old cars when they hoard them and let them rot? No wonder the prices are through the roof!

Lots of good parts and project cars. I wish place like this would be condemned and an auction held. An auction at least would get these cars out of there and potentially in the hands of a caring new owner.

These people are power hunry. They love having stuff that people trip over themselves to get. They love to be able to say "no" and turn people away. It makes them feel good, and makes them feel like they have power over people. Thats all it is about.

Or bury them up to their knees, like they let these car get buried up to their rockers. SICK! Just SICK! :x

Did you guys hear about a lot of over 600 classic cars that were mostly DRIVEN to rot in a field? Plymouth Roadrunners and Dusters, 409 Impalas and convertibles, first gen Camaros, Galaxies, Sunliners, '58 Bel-Airs and Impalas, And maybe even a Torino Talledega and a Plymouth Superbird. The owner dided and the family CRUSHED EVERYTHING. There was a guy offering the guy crushing the cars 10x more than scrap but he didn't care. SMASH SMASH SMASH all cheap wally-world bikes or Campbells soup cans by now.

This thread just makes me want to cry... :cry:

mikesbikes36 said:
thats SAD ....how can they do that ???

The same way no one can force us to sell our bikes. They can be awfully persuasive and offer you so much money you'd be stupid not to sell but they can never FORCE us to sell. Same goes with a car that is owned by someone, that person owns it and can do whatever they want with it even if it means they won't sell it even when your offer exceeds fair market value. Sometimes it's sentimental value, sometimes they just don't know what it's worth, sometimes they can't find titles, sometimes they just want to know it goes somewhere it is appreciated, sometimes they just don't want to mess with them, and sometimes they are just being a hoarder.

Then once in a while they die with no heirs and leave it sitting till someone finds it. I was out on a hunting trip once and found an old truck in the woods. (saw something move, shot at it, and heard glass break :oops: ) after clearing 50 years of weeds off of it I found it was a 1937 International pickup. I kept going back and asking everyone I could find about it and nobody knew anything about it. Finally I did a title search through DMV and found out the last owner had died and had no kids, no wife, and no one had come forward to claim it so I laid claim to it and after a bunch of paperwork, police check, few filing fees, and some DMV run around I ended up getting a title for it free and clear. It's long gone now as I traded it off for god knows what. So sometimes you can get lucky when you see an old car like that.

Dang man. I would give anything for anyone of those Fords & Plymouths in fact that is why I'm selling my bikes to afford a early 70's & older car like those.

My friend John in Williams CA see's that all the time when he looks for cars for his yard. Just a real shame people do that.

I have seen this so many times....sad day in car heaven when they finally are crushed. :cry:

But there is a silver lining, I have personally ran acrossed a few that were in poristine or even showroom condition and the owner gave me a realistic price, like I found 5 years ago a 65 Shelby Mustang for the paultry sum of $6500.00
I did the right thing and got it to a car collector. No restoration needed!

mikeeebikey said:
I have seen this so many times....sad day in car heaven when they finally are crushed. :cry:

But there is a silver lining, I have personally ran acrossed a few that were in poristine or even showroom condition and the owner gave me a realistic price, like I found 5 years ago a 65 Shelby Mustang for the paultry sum of $6500.00

I would love to have had that deal! 65/66 mustang is my dream car!!! and to boot it was a Shelby!!!!!! I would have fainted :lol:

I had a friend who was a hoarder and loved v-dubs. He had a split-window crew cab and I asked if he would sell it. He said, "Dunno, can they bury you in those things?" Oddly enough he did part with a '69 Ghia to a friend of mine.

His son was even worse, collected airplanes and old industrial equipment. Had a really clean shop with an airplane and a Mazda rotary engine in the middle of the shop (never fly again of course) and an optical comparitor in the corner used for checking steel quality at the microscopic level. Weird stuff.

The old man died couple days ago. This stuff offically belongs to his only heirs a grandson and granddaughter. Both are around 50 years old. They got it all house bank accounts cars etc. They are nice folks but have had EVERYTHING they have GIVEN TO THEM.

They aint gonna give you NOTHING. Those cars will never be moved ever again. They got money and dont "need" money and will tell you that. Theres a Studabaker Lark. Gran Torino..Fairlanes you name it plus garages locked up with antique cars. All left to rot. It literally makes you sick to walk around out there and even worse to know someone got it all for free who only wants it to keep someone else from getting it. Has nothing to do with sentimental value.

If I had to start dreaming about a single car it'd have to be something custom that nobody else had. I'd build a crossbreed between a ''67 Impala, '57 Bel Air, and a '70 El camino SS 396.

Or I'd chop top a VW bay window bus like this.

baywindowbus_zps302138a3.jpg

Vintagebikelover24 said:
mikeeebikey said:

I would love to have had that deal! 65/66 mustang is my dream car!!! and to boot it was a Shelby!!!!!! I would have fainted :lol:
For me it would have been a travisty! I love the old stangs but hate the way they drive. My 90 is really a chassis with a title! I wanted to hack, cutt, and remove the 2 bodies and exchange mine for the old blood!!! Purists would have wanted to punch me!

To make you sick and proud of the OLD man that sold it to me; He has 3 boys, ran a service station starting in the 70s, early 70s! His boys would not work for him, would not learn cars or have anything to do with them except drive them. He said, "I will not give these boys my pride and joy to be destroyed." That was my determining factor not to cutt it up. Also the odometer said 1800 miles. He bought it in cally, drove it to Carrol Shelby's, stayed in a motel for 2 weeks while the Shelby boys had their way with her, then drove it to Alabama wher he put it in storage! It had the original parts in the trunk, original tires were there as well!

I also heard from the youngest boy a couple years after Dad died, he said, "do you still have my Mustang?" "I am going to sue you for more money...." I hung up!

I'd love to hear the judges response to that case... :lol: :roll: It was HIS car he can sell it for whatever he wants.

Back