VINTAGE BICYCLE PHOTOS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trackfork_1.jpg

trackfork_2.jpg

^ 'Found' these pics at my local bookstore. Hope they haven't been posted in this thread...

However I did post them in the Wallmart qualitycontrol thread.
Anybody know the story about those flipped forks? Why? How would they handle?

herr_rudolf said:
they had flipped forks because it allowed get closer to the motorcycle, you dont need comfortable turning for speed records

Consigliere said:
herr_rudolf said:
they had flipped forks because it allowed get closer to the motorcycle, you dont need comfortable turning for speed records

And why exactly would one want to be closer (with his body, not his frontwheel) to the motorbike? I mean, what is the possitive effect that a flipped fork can produce regarding to a speedrecord as opposed to a regular fork?

Please excuse my ignorance but I really wanna know...
Thanks for your quick reaction
:)

Comfort is a relative quality, the design of any machine built for speed needs to take into account that a rider more comfortable in the control of his machine will be able to exert more of his potential attaining a higher speed. The small diameter front wheel brings the rider closer to the pacing machine which keeps the rider closer to the slipstream of the vehicle he is following. The reversed fork geometry increases trail substantially which increases the forces that tend to self-center the steering making the bike less responsive to the small natural rider forces input on the handlebars. Less trail is ideal for a criterium or track bike designed to handle quickly in a pack of riders; More trail makes the bike more stable and comfortable at speed in a straight line.

thanks Consigliere an rms37!
Good to know.

'less responsive to the natural driver forces'. Thats new to me.
I guessed about the 'slipstream', but thought it wouldn't make much of a difference back then with the (lack of) timing technology... The 'small diameter frontwheel' to get even closer to the motorbike. That's smart.

So my friday wasn't completely wasted. I actually learned something today. Thanks a bunch guys!

Don't ya love RRB.COM?
:)

Happy to clarify… By “less responsive to natural rider forces” I was referring to the unintended side to side input at the handlebars generated even by a smooth rider when applying reciprocating forces to the pedals.

Since the dawn of measured time, records are set and races won against the clock; which in the case of thirties racing was probably measured in hundredths of a second by a stop watch and in important races based on time synchronized photographic recordings. As for the Slipstream, even partially falling out of it for a fraction of a second is time added to your end result.

me, taken sometime in 1963 with my fathers bike, ... i dont know where's the bike now :(

mybike.jpg

with my dad and my little sister.... :lol: :lol:
bikedad.jpg

corysmeltzer said:
There it is again...This photo has stirred quite a debate. Many people think that it's been "photoshopped"??? It's darn cool, but is it real?? :mrgreen:

bike.jpg

hmmmm

I've looked long and hard at this one. I'm not 'totally drawn' to it or anything, so I'm not defending it just becuase I think its awesome; I actually think it's just a good pic, not the best not the worst. But I would venture a hypothesis that yes, it is a real pic, someone did capture this rider in motion. HOWEVER... I am guessing he did not remain in motion for very long after this was snapped, and perhaps this photo was a 'lucky shot' of this jockey about to wipe out while makign a sharp corner.

Just my thoughts :roll:

Strings_and_steam said:
...yes, it is a real pic, someone did capture this rider in motion. HOWEVER... I am guessing he did not remain in motion for very long after this was snapped, and perhaps this photo was a 'lucky shot' of this jockey about to wipe out while making a sharp corner.
I'd buy that... :mrgreen:

herr_rudolf said:
+1
Would be cool to do some sort photograph competition trying to recreate this scene. Photoshop retouching allowed ofcourse...
8)
I'd buy that too! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back