Vintage AMF Roadmaster Motorbike (engine mock up)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
AMF%20Roadmaster%20Frame%201.jpg

Could this be made into a pedal bike even though it started life as a motor bike frame?

Re: Vintage AMF Roadmaster Motorbike Frame

I've seen one, they came with a small motor that mounted over the rear wheel. I see no reason you can't turn it into a bicycle although finding the right size seat post and bearings may be a challenge.
They also came branded as AMF, Roadmaster, and a few others.
IMG_8187_f093b9999bba593657fd900dac2d4521.jpg

picture_125_copy1.jpg

Or maybe go for a Yamaha motobike vibe and .....
AMF_Roadmasster_Minneapolis.jpg

outskirtscustoms said:
I've seen one, they came with a small motor that mounted over the rear wheel. I see no reason you can't turn it into a bicycle although finding the right size seat post and bearings may be a challenge.
They also came branded as AMF, Roadmaster, and a few others.
IMG_8187_f093b9999bba593657fd900dac2d4521.jpg

picture_125_copy1.jpg

Or maybe go for a Yamaha motobike vibe and .....
I have the Schwinn OCC StingRay that could be used for the rear wheel and maybe the triple tree.

dracothered said:
I'm wondering if the engine shown here would fit under the bar and link up to the wider StingRay rear wheel?

It would require some fabrication but anything can be done with enough duct tape, welding, and spray paint. I have seen your fabrication on Mega Pixie so it shouldn't be a problem.

Nevermind, I think mine went to scrap already. Shame too, I cut the headtube off for a project and gave the rest to my neighbor, seat, seatpost, and all. Only thing I have left is the original drum brake rear wheel which is almost a moped wheel, beasty thing but a 20x2.125 fits it so I'd guess a bigger 20" tire would as well.

Also the motors were drive wheel type. They are basically a regular bike aside from a motor sitting on top. Mine had standard crank, bearings etc. The wheel is stamped AMF 16" but uses DOT sizing rather than bicycle sizes. Mine had no motor when I got it for $5 from the flea market but still rode fine. I like how the front sticker has legitimate motor vehicle info.

ozzmonaut said:
Also the motors were drive wheel type. They are basically a regular bike aside from a motor sitting on top. Mine had standard crank, bearings etc. The wheel is stamped AMF 16" but uses DOT sizing rather than bicycle sizes. Mine had no motor when I got it for $5 from the flea market but still rode fine. I like how the front sticker has legitimate motor vehicle info.
Yea I don't want a friction drive, so I will go with a chain drive set up.

Re: Vintage AMF Roadmaster Motorbike (1st Mock up)

Ok, so I start removing parts from the Schwinn StingRay to test fit them on the AMF frame and at first I think the steer / head tube was going to be the wrong size. Well the only issue I have with it is the length.
1st%20Mock%20up%201.jpg

You don't see no pink handle bars there, they are not the handle bars you looking for. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
1st%20Mock%20up%202.jpg

1st%20Mock%20up%203.jpg

1st%20Mock%20up%204.jpg

I then notice that the seat post is almost the same diameter as the seat tube on the frame, this is just crazy insane.
1st%20Mock%20up%205.jpg

1st%20Mock%20up%206.jpg

That seems to be working out great. A shim for the seat post would be real easy to make if needed. Maybe cut up a beer can?

Looks good but If I went that route I'd loose the rack and put a nanner seat on it with a tall sissy bar, get the bars lower like drag bars right on top of the triple tree...maybe make a pair of clamps, paint it all flat black with red scallops and white pinstripe around the scallops, Stretch the rear frame and spread it to fit a stingray rear rim with a big honkin' Harley tire on it.

Re: Vintage AMF Roadmaster Motorbike (2nd Mock up)

Alright I got the Mad Scientist tools out and started a hacking and grinding away the parts that don't fit.

So here is what popped out of the cutting, hacking and grinding....
2nd%20Mock%20up%201.jpg

2nd%20Mock%20up%202.jpg

2nd%20Mock%20up%203.jpg

Then I had to see what seat might look good on it., still pondering that question.
2nd%20Mock%20up%204.jpg

2nd%20Mock%20up%205.jpg

2nd%20Mock%20up%206.jpg

2nd%20Mock%20up%207.jpg

2nd%20Mock%20up%208.jpg

2nd%20Mock%20up%209.jpg

Re: Vintage AMF Roadmaster Motorbike (Welded & 3rd Mock up)

Did some welding today and another Mock up of the bike...

Welded%20up%201.jpg

Welded%20up%202.jpg

Welded%20up%203.jpg

Welded%20up%204.jpg

I also switched out the bearing cups for the Head Tube with the ones from the Schwinn. The shocking fact is the AMF head tube is for a 1 1/8" setup and was built back in the 70's like this.
Bearing%20Cups%20from%20Schwinn.jpg

3rd%20Mock%20up%201.jpg

3rd%20Mock%20up%202.jpg

I thought I would see what it would look like with a 20" wheel on the front also. Yes that is a set of forks from a Beast.
3rd%20Mock%20up%203.jpg

3rd%20Mock%20up%204.jpg

Re: Vintage AMF Roadmaster Motorbike (Welded & 3rd Mock up)

I am still thinking about the 20" wheel, but not totally hooked on it.

I had to cut and weld the steer tube because it was a little over an inch to long. I use a part of a 1" steer tube to slide the two halves together on and to keep it straight.
Steer%20Tube%20Welded%201.jpg

Steer%20Tube%20Welded%202.jpg

Back