Victory Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right on! Here's a B-17 and flight line personnel with their bikes. One of those might be my bike!

0d6e4fb8ad12df4970fc6f238de31e05.jpg
Great Photo!

It's not going to be a complicated build, making the green army paint look old will be the biggest challenge. I cut a template for the frame insert
blank.JPG
, I hope to find some sheet metal to make it with.

This AAF symbol looks like a good candidate for the insert. I'll have a decal made of it instead of trying to paint it on there.
7a117094f6923c647edc12e567fbe5d5 - Copy.jpg

Maybe some nose art?
p-40-nose-art-michael-madrid.jpg

Then I need to do a military stenciling type of lettering saying "Property of AAF" and a number of some kind. Probably VT-70 as that may be the model of bike. The VT-70 is the Victory Bike, only made in 1942.
1942 hawthorne victory pair 2.jpg

Looking at the BB again, I noticed it has two slugs welded in. Maybe they drilled the holes wrong as SSG thought. But the holes aren't big enough for the tubing size. It has to be factory because one holds part of the serial number.
2 holes bb.JPG

It has to have a bike license so on it went. Maybe it can be aged a little to match.
DSCI0013.JPG

Since they sandblasted it and put a good paint job on, I'm just going to smooth it, and paint it army olive drab green. I think the flat black will work for aging the finish. Maybe, or maybe not, it's my first attempt at fake patina. I'm open to suggestions.

My suggestion would be to prep the frame, shoot a decent coat of o.d. green, let it cure for a day or so, then go in with 0000 steel wool and a little liquid soap to cut down on friction and just slowly work it until it has the look you desire. If you go through both the green and black to the metal below and want some rust, etch with white vinegar in a spray bottle, as many applications as you like for a day or so, then switch to straight hydrogen peroxide for the darker brown rusts, neutralize with soap and water, clear coat with polyeurethane. End result would be something like this, rust wise:
images.jpg
How much paint you leave and how you blend the layers is really where your artistic side and personal preferences come out. Good luck with the paint, I hope I could be of some sevice.

I don't think I can pull it off, but i'll see how the paint goes on, it's already flat olive green so it might be ok. The handlebars, chain wheel, and rims should have been painted silver when new according to the research I've done. The chain wheel is very shiny for it's age, but it doesn't look chrome, just shiny.
HPIM2182.JPG

The handlebars never were chrome, or black, so I think they were as they were supposed to be, painted silver. But I think by now they would look primer gray, unless left outside. Mine are rusty but won't stay that way, they will be gray and weathered looking. Same goes for the seat post and seat springs. The leather will stay black, and I need an old black pair of grips, coke bottle would look great I think.
I've got the stencil stuff and AAF symbol ready to be made into decals. I went with the round symbol, as the other red white and blue didn't come about until 1943. I'll be hunting for some sheet metal to make the cutout, or have it cutout, as I have no cutting tools now.
top_4colordecal_1.jpg

Last edited:
Doing the faux patina shouldn't be a problem, it's like when you get reprimanded and have to polish switch plates. Only you're not making it shine, you make it fade.

The tank insert should look cool, and the stencils add to the G.I. factor.

The fedex print place wanted to send off my page of decals to their special office somewhere for a week, then charge me 15 bucks. I must have looked like a tourist with my flowered hang ten shirt.
Previously, it was 50 cents and 1 minute to have it printed, back in the Philippines. It's just adhesive backed photo paper.

There must be another place that prints. And a place I can get a small piece of aluminum or sheet metal for the insert.

There's a guy somewhere on the islands that makes repop metal bike license plates, I'll see if I still have his contact info. Maybe he can help you.

There's a guy somewhere on the islands that makes repop metal bike license plates, I'll see if I still have his contact info. Maybe he can help you.

That would be great, I just need a piece of that plate material 23" x 4".

Progress. I went grocery shopping at the military base nearby. They had a UPS store there, and 10 minutes later, I've got my decals for 3 bucks!

aaf decal.JPG

I only have to match the green background on the lettering with the bike color, the symbols will be cut out and show as a blue circle.

Thanks Falstaff for the heads up in the sign maker, turns out he lives less than 2 miles away from me! He makes new license plates from old themes too. So I thought of Kilroy, graffiti from WW2. That might work well on a bike license plate.
kilroy (2).JPG

Then I worked on layouts for the insert. I like the bottom one better.

insert.JPG

Good deal, I figured he might be able to help you out. Let us know.

I agree, I like the lower one too.

Things went well! I got a bike license plate (Kilroy) for a few bucks and he threw in a sheet of aluminum (the white rectangular piece). Plenty for the insert and then some.

Then a trip to Home depot for tools. Cutters, gloves, sanding block, a punch and nuts/bolts. They didn't have the right shade of olive drab spray paint, but I saw some at Walmart last week. So, I have everything but paint. I'll make the attachment straps with the aluminum.

parts tools.jpg

Last edited:
I've got enough aluminum there to make 2 halves of a tank and use 2 bolts to hold it to the bike top tubes, but I think the single insert with attachment straps will look better, more like the military bikes back then had.

vintage-us-army-bike.jpg

Glad that worked out for you. I've never met the guy, but have ordered from him. I figured he could atleast point you to a place to get metal, it's cool that he got you what you needed.
And the fact that he lives just down the street, amazing coincidence.

Latest posts

Back