Victim of Changes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, I was going to skip this build, but I simply can't resist! The build going on in RRBO4 are most inspirational and awesome - great job everyone - WOW! I think these build offs just keep getting better and better, and bigger! Fun stuff.

I decided to use this frame, not sure what it is, last summer I was trying to come up with a way to use some of these gals frames I have been snagging parts off of. I liked this chain top bar, but never did a good build with it, then it got tossed on the corner. So this is the next victim to be changed into a useable bike. :mrgreen:

I think I am going to use a Satin bronze and dark maroon & black color combo.

I saw an idea for some really simple springer forks on an old motorcycle, so I am going to try and make some similar.

I am going to try and keep the "feel" of the last photo for this build...

Anyways, greta job on all your builds! Cheers, T.

victim_01a.jpg

victim_01b.jpg

victim_01c.jpg

victim_01d.jpg

victim_01e.jpg

victim_01f.jpg

Look forward to your build. Documentation is always tops. The springer looks simple.

you nailed it MarkM - was wondering who would :mrgreen: - cman, springer is simple! hope it works...

My hand-drill AND my grinder conked out on me in same day - BUMMER!

Anyways, got springer parts cut out, and drilled, need to sand, then weld to forks. Ging to put some type of truss rods on there to beef it up, but they will be for looks only I guess...

NOT using the maroon color, it looks way too pink to me...

Going to try and use a "nanner" seat with NO sissy bar for that opened end look - not sure how yet - but worked on reinforcement plate regardless - bent it in vise w/tube & hammer.

I am using 26" fat rim in back, and skinny 27" rim in front - so far anyways. This bike is definitely being built with super-junk, I noticed last night, even my boneyard of parts bikes is getting low... time to start a-huntin'...

Got super lucky on headlight. I grinded off back, slid flashlight in headlight, then screwed back part of flashlight on back of headlight to tighten it all down - funky push-button LED! - thanks for looking - T.

victim_02a.jpg

victim_02b.jpg

victim_02c.jpg

victim_02d.jpg

victim_02e.jpg

victim_02f.jpg

victim_02g.jpg

the springer is sick my friend pony was talking about doing a fork like that he once saw one in a very old easy rider mag from the 70's on a chopper harley. i dont see any reason it wont work my only suggestion would be to shorten the upper mounting points closer to the fork so that there wont be as much side to side flex. but then again look at the fork i came up with this year and it has nada for side play

hey it might work just fine long like that i just know from past experience that sometimes form has to follow second to function. found out that the hard way on the fork i did last year i had to add two braces that originally i would have rather not had be there but they had to otherwise that fork would have just folded in half :shock:

cool thanks! did quick test today, have not welded the top braces yet - not sure on placement yet - it seems they work better when in alignment with forks VS vertical/straight up & down to the ground - seems odd, but they work better at an angle.. hmmmm... any input on this?

in retrospect, the spring mount should be right above the wheel mount hole I think... maybe next time...

had to fill in original fork holes and drill new hole for pivot point. Still going to beef 'em up with some type of truss rod - which will, err should help with sway too.... I ain;t no engineer... just add stuff until it work :mrgreen:

Got "floating nanner seat" solilidified.... need to dress it up still... more later, T.

victim_03a.jpg

victim_03b.jpg

victim_03c.jpg

victim_03d.jpg

victim_03e.jpg

Took the "draft" victim for a spin. Gearing works great (for me). Forks work as planned but had to modify a lot of stuff - even theStill much to do like clean up welds, sand, primer, details, and work out the fork beef. Had to add a "stop" for the base of spring to sit on, they kept getting wonky... much to do.. regards, T.

victim_04a.jpg

victim_04b.jpg

victim_04c.jpg

victim_04d.jpg

victim_04e.jpg

I decided to change things a little - re-sanded & changed neck & sprocket - - ended up using a Metallic Black paint for Neck, forks, seat, part of fenders, handlebars, bearing cups, etc. - frame will be red, rims I painted white. Putting it all together this coming week when I have time - should be able to finish in time - few pics of few parts below.

OH biggest setback was I painted frame last night, and then came home - when I went back to check on it this am, the hook bent and frame was lying on ground, actually on a piece of old carpet - it hit some metal when it fell, so I had to sand off all the fuzz, dings & scratches and repaint. Bummer deal - but what can ya do. Best regards, T.

victim_06a.jpg

victim_06b.jpg

victim_06c.jpg

victim_06d.jpg

Back