VDUB Advice (PICS ADDED 4/10/08)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All! I have a chance to obtain a 73 or 74 VW Super Beetle.. I haven't seen the car in 15 years. Yes that is how long it sat in a rundown garage. I know it doesn't run. So what I am asking is what do I need to look for? I have no VW experience. My plans for the car is to just clean it up enough to ride.. Then later Rat it out with black primer and maybe make it automatic.. So Any and alll help is needed. Thanks..

Re: VDUB Advice

VDubs don't like to sit for a long time, they tend to disintegrate. Rust is the big killer, but if it's not too bad, it could be worth your time. Check under the carpets in the and in the battery box beneath the back seat, that's where the worst of it usually is.

The other big problem is previous owners' botched repairs. VWs seem to bring out the worst in shade tree mechanics, but their work isn't always easy to spot. Best to bring along a veteran VW owner/fan for backup.

I've owned 3 beetles, a bus, a fiberglass dune buggy, and several Rabbits.

Good luck!

Thank you for the heads up. I don't know any VDub guys..I do know that the tried to have it fixed and they did not succeed. I may be biting off more than I can chew..Is there an automatic conversion out there for beetles? A simple or common tranny swap to make it auto?

No real easy conversion to automatic transmission. The only auto VW made for the type I upright aircooled powered cars was called an autostick and they are rare. They really didn't work very well either. They weren't very efficient so they made an underpowered car into a real gutless wonder :roll:
Bunbury was right about the rust, but I have resurected lots of old vws after long term storage and had them run amazingly well. If you have a way to turn the motor over and check for compression that would tell you if it is seized. If you could bring a battery and a little gas/starting fluid you could try and fire it up. As long as it has oil you shouldn't hurt anything. One of the drawbacks with supers is the Macpherson strut front end. They handled better when new than the ball joint front ends, but they get sloppy and are hard to rebuild. The other thing that will most likely need attention is the brakes, but parts are pretty plentiful and cheap.

good luck converting it to automatic, but seeking the super beetles have their shells taken off and off-road buggies body put on for the rear engine is still used in the desert buggies so there kits and repairs, gaskets and headers etc. out there for em..making it automatic might be hard, I read something like 7% of all beetles was rear wheel drive, if the body is in good condition and rust is minimal I say jump on it, they are really becoming the "poor mans model A" in the rat rod scene, dudes are taking em, air ride suspension, making them into roadsters with a bed, and even leaving them rusty with new rims they look really cool. I always wanted on but dont think it will ever happen...we'll see though, and you have to love the fact that they are 4cyl like 40mpg no emissions cheap registration (atleast here in cT, anything after 20 years dosent need any emissions) so you could run some crazy straight pipes out the rear no mufflers :D all balls..here are some pictures that were posted on a locale site I go on for the north east minitruck scene (http://northeastsyndicate.com).

306431.jpg

3_4front.jpg

p61205622ma.jpg

36541.jpg
< not a ratrod but just as cool!!
1389738286_f7e871ebeb_o.jpg

1403223043_a26de06c39_o.jpg

5315_212385279746e8c4be06ec5.jpg

vw_6201.JPG

hopefully those will help you make up your mind :DDDD!!!

Help me make up my mind?! After those pics I'm getting it no matter what condition! Lol..the black "roadster" is sick, the dropped rusty one is sick..the turtle made me sick, lol. So some rear wheel drive some front wheel? The reason I need it auto is because I am tall as the sky and I don't need both legs trying to move in there..I plan on movin the driver's seat back. I would drop it or air and rock it like the rusty one..thanks..(I NEED MORE INPUT ON THE AUTO/CONVERSION)

as far as I know there are plenty of auto VW bugs in germany, but I guess shipping for the parts would be really expensive...
if you wish I could have a look at ebay.de at the weekend

Pawel said:
making it automatic might be hard, I read something like 7% of all beetles was rear wheel drive
a) They were ALL rwd.
b) That doesn't make a difference in regards to an auto conversion.

Yeppers, with the gas prices going the way they are, I've thought about going the bug route. My father-in-law and brother-in-law both build sand rails and dune buggies, so I would have plenty of help getting one sorted.

2manybikes's advice on the auto trans is right on the money, if you need an auto, look elsewhere. VW didn't really start producing reliable auto trannys until at least the late-80's (and maybe not even then...)

Another thing to consider is that the Super Beetle has a MacPherson strut-based front suspension, which limits your options for lowering, and narrows the range of aftermarket hot rod parts. Also make sure this one doesn't have the dreadful fuel injection or rack&pinion steering (I think these may have come after '74.) Those options are technological improvements, but not ideal for hot rodders...

id pass on that man, vdubs strength comes from right behind the doors and before the rear fenders, if thats rotted, like the rockers are in the pic then the body wont last and itll fall apart on you. super beetles are a pain in the ... because they have different suspension than the regular beetles so parts are alot more expensive and you cant mod it with the dub-rod kits like the above pictures without significantly more money involved. EDIT sorry didnt see banbury's post but yea hes right on the money

vanilla_gorilla said:
id pass on that man, vdubs strength comes from right behind the doors and before the rear fenders, if thats rotted, like the rockers are in the pic then the body wont last and itll fall apart on you. super beetles are a pain in the butt because they have different suspension than the regular beetles so parts are alot more expensive and you cant mod it with the dub-rod kits like the above pictures without significantly more money involved. EDIT sorry didnt see banbury's post but yea hes right on the money
Well I guess it is obvious.. Ima pass.. Thanks everyone.

vanilla_gorilla said:
no prob, vdubs are cool but you dont want to waste money on that on in particular
Yea I hear you. I saw the car 15 years ago and it was pretty cool.. but When I went to see it today I was shocked on how jacked up it was..

FaceOFFbikes said:
Help me make up my mind?! After those pics I'm getting it no matter what condition! Lol..the black "roadster" is sick, the dropped rusty one is sick..the turtle made me sick, lol. So some rear wheel drive some front wheel? The reason I need it auto is because I am tall as the sky and I don't need both legs trying to move in there..I plan on movin the driver's seat back. I would drop it or air and rock it like the rusty one..thanks..(I NEED MORE INPUT ON THE AUTO/CONVERSION)

lol i re read my post, I type the wrong thing, I ment to type 7% are automatic, not rear wheel drive, rear wheel has nothing to do with it.

holy rot batman!! yea def. pass, you would be investing to much time and money into panels, and parts..Im sure if you look over craigslist and ebay (localey) youll be able to find one cheap cheap in good condition.

Back