Valspar Paint?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any success with Valspar spray paint? I read back in some discussions and most people liked krylon, rustoleum, or dupli-color. Valspar seems to have more colors though, at least around my local area. I've used dupli-color and it was pretty expensive, I used alot of paint to get the solid black look i wanted (my first time) so I don't want to go down that road again. It was probably my lack of experience painting a bike.

Also, I was reading and people mentioned that you can't use clear coat over the metal flake? So how about the metal flake over the clear coat? May be a stupid question but i'm just starting to paint.

Mitch

I have used it with no real complaints. But it is what it is- a mid-priced rattle can. I have seen every brand praised and bashed on here. I think alot of it has to do with the temp and humidity when you are painting, your personal painting "procedure", and maybe even the phase of the moon :wink:

Right now I have Krylon, Rustoleum, Valspar and DupliColor in my cabinet. If I am wanting a quality paint job I spring for the DupliColor. If I just want some color on my bike I will go with one of the cheaper brands. Use a primer that is close to the color of the top coat color you want- Black primer for black paint, White primer for brighter colors, grey, brown, or red for the middle ground. It will reduce the number of top coats you need to get your desired results.

The more prep work you do, the better the final product will be. Make sure tour frame is clean, wet sand between coats, etc.

Some folks say not to mix and match paint brands, but I have had interactions between paints of the same brand and I have had no reaction when using different. Test the paints you are going to use on some scrap before you dive into painting your project. It will save lots of headaches.

Most important is to follow the directions on the can. Different brands, colors, and finishes might have different application and recoat instructions.

Here is a thread on Valspar from a while back viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20914&p=211285&hilit=valspar#p211285

I use it all the time. This bike is Valspar straight from the spray can.
100_0596.jpg

100_0600.jpg

100_0590.jpg

Back