V-belt drive

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking to the father-in-law this past weekend I mentioned this great forum I found called "rat rod bikes"... After talking to him for a period of time he told me about the bicycle he had while growing up in Seattle, it was "belt drive". I can only imagine it was a V-belt, a pair of sheaves with some sort of tensioner...? Thought it might be a cool project someday, just something different. Anybody ever hear of a belt drive on a kids bike?

Clark

Never have seen one on a kids bike, but I know that I've seen some older Schwinn's that had them...not sure that they ever made it into production though.

I think they make belt drives today, but they are expensive.

Made a mistake on that one. It should be the article before that. Sorry. Maybe something at Trek. It looks like a 1 speed. It says that the belt can not be cut, so how do you take it off the frame to replace?

No cars......

No cars on mars said:
Made a mistake on that one. It should be the article before that. Sorry. Maybe something at Trek. It looks like a 1 speed. It says that the belt can not be cut, so how do you take it off the frame to replace?

No cars......

I checked on this one Saturday at a huge bike shop in cleveland, comes with a hefty price tag and a waiting list. looks pretty cool and alot of buzz about it. http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/ur ... /district/

thatismytruck said:
I wonder how they get that belt on or off though.

two words- "Mad Skillz"... :lol:

Actually, I think the dropouts look like they unbolt from the frame, if you zoom in on the rearend.

Well... I'm curious now as to what the father-in-law had, I'll dig a little deeper for some information. Doesn't sound like it rings a bell to anyone here. Perhaps I'll try searching the net to see what I can come up with...?

Clark

yea the dropout looks like it unbolts
it could be a heat bonded belt also I worked in printing plant and we had all sorts or belts on equipment that were glued and heated to bond them permanently

Check out http://www.carbondrivesystems.com/overview.php Gates makes belts for all sorts of things I used to only run gates belts on my snowmachine and was pretty stoked to see them enter the bicycle world with a belt drive. There is a picture on their site how the drive side dropout is setup.

Redline's Rain City Chopper had a belt drive. They're from up around there

dsc00248eg1.jpg

Latest posts

Back