Using a BMX 1 pc crank on a 5 speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use a BMX 1 pc. crank on an older five speed? I want something I can use with a chainwheel of my choice. Right now the bike has an old 1 piece crank similar to other 70s bikes.

It looks like it will work, but I don't have any parts to test with before I order.

ya, BMX one piece is interchangeable with the old style Schwinn Murray etc. one piece cranks. the pitch on the BB threads is different on Scwhinns then all the rest. :roll:

Cool, thanks for the response.

I want to combine many bike styles all into this next one here.

The bike is a grayish blue frame with some Firestone stickers on it. I think I want to go white and maybe sky blue and leave the frame how it is. Should be intersting.

Also, what freewheel tool should I get?

The bike is this style:
P1080449.jpg

I see Shimano, Sun Tour 2 pin, BMX, etc on Amazon.

I want to switch out the guard piece behind the gears for the new wheels.

If the bike has the "american" style bottom bracket you can use a bmx 1 piece crank, this type of bottom bracket is found on low end department store road bikes (k mart, allpro, jc penny, wards, huffy, sears, etc). If you bike has a square taper or cottered crankset with a threaded bottom bracket (like the one in the photo) you cannot use a 1 piece.

My bad. The bike has a 1 pc on it now. I just realized that the picture I put up is a 3 pc.

I was going to use a bmx 1 pc with a bmx chainwheel.

It should work fine, I've done it quite a few times converting 10 down to 5. Loads of different chain rings out there for BMX. This old Varsity now sports a "new school" one piece crankset.

var003-1.jpg

GreatWhite00 said:
Also, what freewheel tool should I get?

I see Shimano, Sun Tour 2 pin, BMX, etc on Amazon.

I want to switch out the guard piece behind the gears for the new wheels.

your gonna have to look at it to see how many notches it has, they are all different...

Back