Update on the stretch bikes - video added 12/17/07

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Update on the stretch bikes

Buck, I have mixed emotions on the tires on the red bike. Sometimes I look at the picture with blackwalls and I like that. Then I look at the one with whitewalls and I like that too. I guess either way works okay. The funny thing is that the blackwalls were just the whitewalls painted black. So I spent the morning using some acetone and cleaning the black back off of the whitewalls to make them white again.

Now for another update. I got my repaint job done today on the original stretch bike - the bumble bee.

I also borrowed a couple of parts - ape hangers, wheels, and tires - off of my build off bike that was painted almost the same color. So this is basically the stretched version of my build off bike.

Here's a before and an after picture ..... :D

y1.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

I think he conduit.

But exactly what is it you want him to do? :lol: :lol:

I think he's used an array of tubing, galvanized pipe, stainless steel tubing, etc. Just whatever works out on the bike he's building. Usually it's either something that will go inside a pipe that's been cut, or maybe go over it. So you name it, it's in there. :D

Here are the first shots of "Remix" - the Murray Mixtie gone hot rod.

Currenly it's in hot rod black primer. Not sure if it will stay that color or end up something else.

I still need to primer the chainguard and get that back on and also hook up the shifter and cable to the SA rear end, but otherwise it's ridable.

It rides fairly well but with the raked neck and ape hangers it does feel like the front end would flop one way or the other if you let your hands off of the bars while you were riding.

I think it turned out pretty well, though.

Here's how it started out ....

MurrayMixtie.jpg

And here's how it looks now ....

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

RatRodDad said:
It rides fairly well but with the raked neck and ape hangers it does feel like the front end would flop one way or the other if you let your hands off of the bars while you were riding.
Looking good! I believe that "flop effect" on the frond end can be countered by positiong the front axle further forward. Maybe by bending the fork, or by welding some extended dropouts towards the front. You know, like you see on extremely raked bicycle chopper forks. Do, however, get confirmation that this is correct before welding or bending anything! :wink:

Hugo

Hugo, my brother suggested putting one of the later model straight forks on the bike in place of the one that's on it. So something similar to bending the fork to get less rake.

It's not real bad to ride, but when I ride the blue stretch bike - which is stretched more but doesn't have a rake on the neck, I can ride along with a finger on the end of one of the grips and that one never makes a move. Totally true and smooth riding. On this one you better keep a hand on a grip or it will go one way or the other on you.

So I will probably try a straight fork on it when I get a chance and see what difference that makes.

RatRodDad said:
Hugo, my brother suggested putting one of the later model straight forks on the bike in place of the one that's on it. So something similar to bending the fork to get less rake.
I'm betting that's probably going to lessen the trail, not the rake. It doesn't hurt to try, but too little rake is also bad for you. CBN has a nice sticky that tries to wrangle rake and trail issues: http://www.chopperbicycle.net/forums/sh ... php?t=3617 . If you do change the fork, let us know if the bike feels different.

Hugo

Hugo, based on those drawings it looks like you are right. Going to a straight fork might actually increase the "trail" and make things worse.

According to the drawings I would have to do like you suggested - and either bend the fork further out - or put on some type of extension to move the wheel further forward.

I guess I need to do a little more research before I do anything. Thanks for passing along the articles and drawings.

Re: Update on the stretch bikes - new one begun

Paul (Uncle Stretch) decided that maybe he would do better building a stretch bike from scratch, so the project has begun.

Check out the work so far ...

first he built a rear section and then had a machine shop build him some drop outs to eventually add to it ..

rear1JPG.jpg

Then he took a neck and a seat post and came up with some frame sections to go with it ..

new1.jpg

First mock up with a rear section ..

new2.jpg

Finally got it spot welded enough to see how it might look .. after changing the rear section and adding some small bars in front ..

new3.jpg

Then he threw on some tires to see how it might sit, look, etc. ..

new4.jpg

Plans are to possibly extend the bottom section out 5" or so further (more stretch) since it has plenty of room behind the front wheel. That will allow a lower seat position while still giving a comfortable ride.

By the way, no animals have been harmed in the building of this bike!! At least not so far. Now the builder, on the other hand, tweaked his arm a bit. :lol: :lol:

Rat Rod said:
It's looking cool!

Where is the bottom bracket going to go?
I'm curious about that and can he make it wide enough to take 3" tires? If so I wanna buy the frame! :wink: He's becoming a master!Seem's like an awsome $-maker after retirement! I'm sure there's alot of my fellow rodders that would be interested!(Especially the ones that can't weld-like me!) :lol:
L8 EM

Steve, I think the plan is to put the bottom bracket at the end of that lower tube - so kind of hanging out there by itself. That was originally the design Paul was looking for - something different than the standard bike setup.

After he mocked it up he decided that he could probably add on to that tube, though, since there is so much room between it and the front wheel. So I think he was going to try to add maybe another 5" or so and get the crank on out there - which will let you sit lower on the seat but still have plenty of leg room to the pedals.

Duke, since he fab'ed the rear section I guess you could build one wider that would take wider tires. I guess someone would need to know how wide things need to be to accomodate tires that wide - and also whether the axles need to be standard cruiser width or if those need to be wider too.

Here are a few more shots of the latest creation. Paul took some of the parts off of his other bikes and got it going.

So here are some shots of it in primer and then some with the orange paint job (since he had some left from one of his previous build).

And yes, I think it's as long as it looks in the pictures. :lol:

Primered2.jpg

Primered1.jpg

CHETO6.jpg

CHETO5.jpg

Back