UCB Hub Project- Bendix Original Rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've never rebuilt a coaster hub before....Once it's all taken apart and cleaned up, what all has to be regreased? Just the bearings?

Sin City Tec. said:
is this the same steps for rebuilding mag wheel huds?

I have never had a mag with a Bendix to play with, but I am willing to bet they are the same or at least similar enough to figure out. What does your brake arm say? I have a NOS rebuild kit for the Bendix 76 and 86 series hubs. It contains everything except the brake arm and the hub shell. I don't need it so it is for sale. I will even include a Bendix wrench.

Sin City Tec. said:
my brake arm says suntours on it.

It isn't exactly the same, but pay attention to how the parts come out and their orientation. It should be close enough to figure out. Most newer coaster brake hubs- Suntour, Shimano, Hi-Stop, etc use a design based closely on the Bendix Red Band family.

I bought a Schwinn tiger and its missi g the shoe key can you measure the shoekey so I can cut one

Well I found the shoe key outside the problem with my wheel is that it spins freely both ways like I peddle it doesn't go any where and no break any idea what's causing it?

I have a 1964 Schwinn stingray red band 76 made in mexico.I would like some imformation on it.I'm resoring it and i greased the rear hub,all the guts look good,but when i tighten it so there's no wobel.it don't spin as good as the front one.What can be the problem?

Thanks for this post. I took on a huge project for a first-time rebuild and this post really helped me. I'm completely renovating a '60s Columbia tandem as a wedding gift for my daughter. I bought a nice used RB2 on eBay, but when I got it, the hub seemed to be binding pretty badly. Turns out, one of the ball bearing rings was screwed, missing a ball and all. This post was a huge help, as I'd never taken one of these hubs apart before, and really needed some visual clues how to get it back together!

I'd post a pic of the hub apart, but I'm a newbie here and cant seem to figure out how to post pics.

Thanks for the write up. Just finished a cleaning and rebuild of the red band bendix for my typhoon. Went smooth and hub looks and works great.

See ya,
Rod

I have rebuilt a Bendix blue band kickback, several red bands and 2 Bendix manuals. I fill them up with grease. On the manuals I rebuilt them dry with no grease. I put the bikes on a stand and monkeyed with the shift pin to make sure it worked and then disassembled them and filled them with grease. When riding around Marquette Mountain the coasters get so hot you can't touch them. This kind of riding is fun but I don't do it anymore with coasters as I am fearful that I will destroy my coasters. I rebuilt a KT after a year of winter salt/road sand riding and it was a waste of time. There was no grit worked into it so I just leave them alone. Unless you burn the grease out I think about every 5 to 10 years should be good rebuild interval and then only because the grease will turn into a mixture of steel dust, grit and dried out grease. I have nothing to base this on but I will most likely be dead or for sure totally bike disabled by then anyway so thats my plan.

Latest posts

Back