Twenty Questions - Dealing With Nervous Buyers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I know lots of us flip non-cruiser bikes for cash on the side or to help fund Rat Rod builds. I am curious how you deal with people who ask overly-personal questions. I don't mean questions specific to the bike being sold. I mean personal questions. I don't have anything to hide, but I'm not the kind of guy who discusses his business publicly, either.

Some recent examples:

Do you do this for a living?
Are you a dealer?
How much do you make?
What is your religious affiliation?
What is your political affiliation?
Are you associated with a charity?
Are you the guy from American Pickers?

I know we are living in rough times, and people are a bit edgy and suspicious, but cripes!

Wow....nothing like that ever. I never show them my garage and always have the bike out front before they show up. I usually just tell them it is one I don' t ride any more or I am selling to fund other projects.

This is happening to me multiple times weekly, guys. :shock:

Just 30 minutes ago a guy called and wanted to know where I got my bikes. He asked, "Are you just getting them from Walmart!" I explained that Walmart never even existed when this bike was made. He was looking for a bike for his kid, and didn't want to deal with "some scammer."

Deorman: Exactly! This stuff makes me a little sketchy. Like why do they need to know this?

And while we are on the subject; How much honesty is too much honesty?

I once told a young co-ed the Schwinn Co-ed 2 speed she was about to purchase from me was pieced together from 3-4 other old Schwinn bikes. I thought she would be impressed, given she was the type who seemed to dig recycling. Nope, not impressed at all. Almost didn't buy it. I kinda regretted saying anything. Especially since all parts were correct for that bike.

I would not tell any more information than needed to complete the sale. Do you use CL hosted images or something like photobucket?

I always use the CL anon email and state " Local Sales, Cash only."

I think you would eliminate a lot of this if you'd
just stop wearing this button all of the time. :lol:

askbutton.gif

Currently I am not giving out any info not specific to the bike in question. I have a "junk" email address for use with cl. Photos are generally hosted via cl, or to a public photo host. I even mix up the photo locations and ad copy so as to not appear as a guy selling a ton of bikes on cl.

People are not allowed into the house unless they are repeat customers AND have passed my personal "stink" test. Or if they are Rat Rod Bike members in good standing. :wink:

I am 100% cash, but don't mind short travel. Plus I have a lot of guys making a 2-3 hour drive. I live near a cluster of smallish cities.

I just asked my girlfriend. She said it's because I look like a criminal. I hope she is kidding! :oops:

Maybe this is more appropriate, eh Rat Rod?

ask_no_questions_hear_no_lies_attitude_button-p145318679849921352t5sj_400.jpg

slacker said:
People are not allowed into the house unless they are repeat customers AND have passed my personal "stink" test.
Wow! My dad and I made it on the porch the first visit and all the way to the basement the second time there. I don't think you knew I was on RRB at that time, either.

My grandma always told me I was a good guy, but this proves it! :lol:

The first bicycle I ever sold on Craigslist -- bought by a crazy man that came up my driveway while honking his horn. Beforehand, he offered me $10 on the phone from the $15 I had it listed for. I was nice enough to say yes. But when he came over, he then offered me $5, and I said no. He then got upset and was making a lot of angry body motions while yelling "Come on man!!!" And again, I kept on saying no. He was the worst costumer I ever had in my life. I was much younger than he was. It was a 15 year old vs. a 50 year old. He ended up buying the bicycle. Worst seller's regret I can recall. Learning experience? Sure... it's a lot nicer giving those good deals to the friendly ones as opposed to the ones who are downright negative! But people like this come rarely; the majority of the people that come to my house to buy a bike are awesome!!!

But the weirdest part of buying stuff on Craigslist is actually going into a person's home. Driveway or parking lot stuff is just great, but it can make you feel very uncomfortable going into someone's house that you barely know. Especially when there's more than one person near you and you're talking to one face to face while the other one is behind you or somewhere you cannot see them.

Arm yourself! You never know... :lol:
Beararms.jpg

hahaha... bear arms!!

i never sold anything from craigslsit but i have bought. thats where i got my murray, and the trike, tandem and stingray. come to think of it we only have one bike that we didnt get from CL.

i dont want no strangers knowing where i live. if i did sell something, i would designate a separate meeting place. especially since we got robbed a month ago. ive been on high alert!!

Yall don't seem to be doing it right. If they get goofy , just tell them they have 30 seconds to leave before you see if the pistol you just cleaned works properly.....just kidding. If they ask too many questions ,just raise the price and tell them its for the aggravation fee. :lol: :lol:

I think you live in a "safe" part of the country, but before I had liability ins. ( I have recently started a business) I never told anyone I had turned a wrench on a bike. I didn't lie about, just didn't disclose the info, unless they asked. 'Round these parts someone is always looking to sue someone else, especially if the claim is completely and transparently BS.

Now, with my training, and the subsequent tuneups the bikes receive, my wrenching is a selling point (I hope).

Probably the best thing is to give only the info asked about, and hopefully the bicycles speak for themselves. Sales is fun and interesting, once you learn to accept the difficult people.

i'm usually too honest. like "yeah, the forks are a little bent, but they were worse, i just spun the bars backwards and ran it into a wall a few times to straighten 'em out..."

blacksheep said:
slacker said:
People are not allowed into the house unless they are repeat customers AND have passed my personal "stink" test.
Wow! My dad and I made it on the porch the first visit and all the way to the basement the second time there. I don't think you knew I was on RRB at that time, either.

My grandma always told me I was a good guy, but this proves it! :lol:

I worked in security for years. I can smell a problem from a mile away.

You passed the test. Still a little leery of the old man! :lol:

Hello Slacker,

I was selling a frame and the potential buyer
explained he had no money but would give the bike a good home.
My reply " I selling it, not putting it up for adoption"
It takes all kinds.

Cheers.

i had a guy do the same with a $1400 dirt bike. settled on a price on the phone. he ended up kicking tires for 1/2 hour before we settled on a lower price. me and a couple friends dragged the bike outta the basement, then the guy hit me with my life sucks , blah blah blah blah.! btw i'm broke.

i'm not a violent person, but that dude left in a hurry. :)

Back