tube benders ???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ready to start shopping around for some type of tube bender so I can start building my own frames and bars and such things. I'd like to know what some of you guys are using and what advice you might have. I know good benders can be in the thousands of dollars...but I'm gonna be in the $400 range...give or take.
Someone told me to just buy a torch and bend my tubes with heat... I'm thinking they dont make tube benders for no reason, otherwise everyone would be just using a torch...right?
Also, I would like to find something that doesn't distort the tube too much...know what I mean? Of course you do :) Any advice ?

I use two different tools, depending on the kind of bend I want. For sharper bends, I use a hand conduit bender meant for electrical conduit. I don't use that too often though.

Mainly I want a nice, steady curve that flows. For that, I've got a cheap Harbor Freight tubing roller. It can do several sizes, and it doesn't take long to get good at it. That is what I would recommend first, and those are only about $130. I know many people on here use the HF rollers. They're worth the dough.

Tubing Roller at HF on sale for $169, plus you have to buy or make a stand for it.
bender002.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-roller-99736.html

Cool, thanks for all the info! Honestly, I'm a little sketched out about the HF tube roller only because I have a neighbor who rolled a very mild bend in a 20" long tube and it was pretty ovalized when he was finished with it... please tell me that it was something he did incorrectly?... or is this just a common issue with these? Thanks :)

Yep. I got a 1 5/8'' piece of tubing and used my 1 1/2'' dies and it made it oval. Looked
really cool though. I was going to do all my top tubes like that. If you use the 1 1/2'' dies
on 1 1/2 od tubing it bends them perfect. It will swag the last 5'' on what you bend because
its not under the bender part. You have to allow for that and cut that part off.

Latest posts

Back