Truss rod Q for the veteran builders

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I would like to say thanks to the members of RRB that take the time to help and offer their advice to the less experienced bike builders, like myself. One day, I hope I am in a position to repay this board, with my own experiences. Until then I will be counting on ya'all and your generosity.
Enough with the "brown nosing" and on to the Q at hand:
Being new to bike building and in the middle of my first build, I find myself falling in love with the look of the front truss systems I've seen on this sight. Without totally copying any one design, I would like to incorporate that "look" into my build.
The problem is: I simply don't know how to do it or where to start. I am hoping that someone here can could find the time to give me a quick tutorial or maybe point me in the right direction. A while back, while I was lurking here, I found a thread from a member that was making brackets for this application, but now I can't seem to pull that info back up.
Any help would be deeply appreciated.
Thank You, in advance. Kenny b

once you've sorted out your bracket design and method of manufacturing it, I have used 3/8 automotive brake line to make truss rods on two bikes. You can run a tap into the bracket end and just catch enough to make some shallow threads for a bolt, and at the hub end, flatten it out and drill a hole. They bend nicely, with our without a tubing bender.

Lets see a picture of your bike. I think the truss rods should look good on your bike, so...
They can be made out of steel , aluminum, or...
They can be solid or tubular.
They need to be flattened on one end with a hole to fit over your axle and threaded on the other end to attach to the truss plate.

Wow, that's nice! I haven't seen that one before now. Another reason this forum keeps me coming back!

Kenny- A lot will depend on the available tools and methods available to you. If you or someone you know is a wizard machinist, then the sky's the limit. But if you don't have access to more advanced methods such as a torch for heating metal, or a tap and die set for threading, then you can search out some existing parts for sale and make them work. Or just get creative with materials that best suit what you have to work with.

Good luck and welcome! Let us know about you in the intros page.

Thanks guys. I knew I could depend on you for your advice and thoughts.
I have access to tools and welders and enough experience in fabricating to be dangerous (grin), so it's more just a lack of knowledge, on my part, then anything else.
I'd love to send pics of the bike (thanks, for asking BTW), but it's totally disassembled and I don't think they would be of much help in getting a perspective on the truss design. It's pretty much your garden variety 26'', single speed, fendered beach crusier. I will gladly send pics when everything is back from the powder coater and I've had a chance to reassembled it, though.
I'm loving your suggestions on the brake lines and hardware store brackets for easy access to materials that don't look homemade and cobbled-up. Thanks!
The only "beef" I've got, is with Bendix.......for showing me those totally ....... trusses of his....I'm going to have to go back on my word of not coping anyone elses set-up. I am going to SOOOO going to copy them. So thanks, Bendix, for making a dawg out of me :p. I hope you are okay with that.
I guess at this point what I really need to focus on is finding a truss plate and go from there. Any suggestions? If a board member has one that they are willing to part with, at a fair price, I would much rather keep it in "The Family" then cast my fate (and hard earned $$'s) to the wind. Any and all suggestions are very much appreciated.
Thanks, again, one and all.
Highest regards, Kenny

Making your own truss rods would be a fun project. You could also post a message in the wanted section and just buy an old set of truss rods and put them on. No muss, no fuss! Gary

Thanks, Gary.
I'm really liking the idea of making my on, but the bracket is the bottleneck right now. After seeing a few on eBay and studying some of the great RRB members bikes, I've come up with a design that I think might work. I will draw it up and take to one of my buddies that has a CNC plasma burn table and have him cut a few units out for me. I'll be sure and keep you and the rest of the group appraised.
As always, Thank You all.

You nailed it, Luke.
That's the thread I've been searching for. Since you sent me this information I've attempted to make contact with Slowriderz and, if he still has them available, I plan on purchasing a few brackets. I'd also like to get a pair of the tapered rods as well.
I'll keep you posted on my success.
Thanks, for your help. I owe you one. Kenny

6egube7u.jpg

This is how I attached my truss rods at the axle end.

3egy2aty.jpg

At the top end I used a Schwinn truss rod bracket that I got on E-bay. For the rods I bent some 1/2" tubing and welded a section of solid rod into the top end to clamp into the bracket. To bend the tubing I heated it with a propane torch till it was red, bent it a little heated it more and bent it more. I did this till I got the bend I wanted.

4e5y2asy.jpg

Since you have access to a plasma cutter, have your own design cut out make it yourself!

Here's one that I made. The bracket was cut from a piece of plate steel and bent over 90 degrees. The truss rods are 1/2" tubing & 3/8" rod, and the chrome brackets where robbed from a toilet seat hinge.

100_5481_zps435120bc.jpg

100_5488_zps3d61692a.jpg

Since you have access to a plasma cutter, have your own design cut out make it yourself!

Here's one that I made. The bracket was cut from a piece of plate steel and bent over 90 degrees. The truss rods are 1/2" tubing & 3/8" rod, and the chrome brackets where robbed from a toilet seat hinge.

100_5481_zps435120bc.jpg

100_5488_zps3d61692a.jpg
Some of the nicest truss rods ever!

Luke.

Ren Man,... no! wait.... You THEE man!
That is a work of art!
How appropriate....toilet seat hinges=Rat Rod Bike
What about the lower, support brackets? Are they from a toilet, too?
Honestly, Ren, you have me tearing up.....Thank you, for your input.
Regards, kenny

PS. I hope I didn't come across as a snob by mentioning the plasma table. Maybe what I should have said was "I know this cat with a CNC plasma cutter and he would/could cut anything (for anybody, BTW) for a price so I can check with him and see if he can cut them for me". Ya, that sounds better. :))

PS. I hope I didn't come across as a snob by mentioning the plasma table. Maybe what I should have said was "I know this cat with a CNC plasma cutter and he would/could cut anything (for anybody, BTW) for a price so I can check with him and see if he can cut them for me". Ya, that sounds better. :))
I doubt anyone would have been worried by that comment, A few of us have used @barnbikes for sprockets and other pieces... ;)

Luke.

I sure hope not, Luke.
I guess being a newbie here, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't being perceived wrongly. I'm as humble as they get, but sometime with printed vs. verbal communication its hard to make a statement without sounding like someone your not.
enough said....let's talk bikes.
Thanks, regards, kenny

What about the lower, support brackets? Are they from a toilet, too?
:))

I looked for a picture of the bottom brackets and didn't have a good finished one up close, but this one sort of shows it. There was a lot going on with making the drop outs play with the fender braces and wheel placement etc etc. But basically its a short section of tubing welded off the side of the fork with the truss rods fed through them.

100_5550_zps6588cc64.jpg

And... I thought nothing of the earlier post except that it's great to have access to those types of tools and that you have the opportunity to get creative.
Looking forward to your pictures!:happy:

Last edited:
Back