Truing Stand?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Natrona Heights, PA- 20 Miles NE of Pittsburgh
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of truing stand do you use?

I don't like to buy cheap tools, but I also don't like to spend more then I need to. I was planning on buying the Park Pro stand and came across the "Professional Guide To Wheel Building by Roger Musson". It has plans for a stand that you build plus a few other tools. It is made mostly of wood. I used to be a cabinet maker and still do an occasional project, so it is right up my alley.

Has any one else made one of these or your own? If I did make one, it wouldn't be much more work to make a couple. Would anyone be interested? I wouldn't want to go crazy making a bunch of them, I hate repetitive jobs, that is one reason I don't make many things anymore. I am not sure If is something that is even allowed to be done. If it turns out that that it shouldn't be made for others, of course I wouldn't do it then.

What do you think?

I use the bike frame or spare fork for most of my truing. I cuts some thin strips of wood on the table saw. The strips are then spring clamped to the frame/fork. They flex enough and I just move them in closer after the intial wobble is out.

michaelscycles said:
What kind of truing stand do you use? I hate repetitive jobs,

I bought a cheap stand through my LBS. It works fine for no more trueing than I do. No brand name on it.

I hate repetitive jobs too, but I've stayed married anyway. :mrgreen: Gary

I had a "less expensive" steel Park truing stand that my employer replace with a fancy cast aluminum Park stand (long story). as cool as the fancy stand is i like the old steel one better. should last you a lifetime.

dont forget the spoke tensionmeter though.

** if you can spring for the Park TS2, thats the one i used to have. it is a good solid too that will last a lifetime, it would appear that my fancy TS3 is no longer sold (i wonder why)

michaelscycles....If you could build one out of WOOD easily then you should do that with very little cost to you...Get your wheels spinning so to speak...Once you have enough experience you could buy a professional model or improve on the one you have built... ( you may have enough experience now ?)
I happen to own an older park model that I got for free .But if I needed one today I would probably make one.
I all so like to buy Quality tools and don't mind spending good money on tools that I use frequently ..But I hate to spend what would be a fortune on a tool that sits around. :wink:

I built this one from 2"x2" angle iron and unistrut. I used unistrut nuts to lock the angle iron leg to the unistrut ways.Clamp leg down, put the wheel in and slide the other leg in to place. I drilled 3 holes for 5/16", 3/8" and 1/2" and has feet for clamping. Works great, cheap too!
P1010991-1.jpg

P1010990-1.jpg

P1010989.jpg

I decided to go with the Park TS-2 stand. I didn't want to spend the time it would take to build one and not be happy with it. Right now I have so many things to do I just can't afford to waste any time. The stand came yesterday. I mounted to the bench today. I am impressed by the weight and quality of this stand. I think the best part is that if it ever needs parts, they will be available. And if it is too bad, you can send it to them and they will rebuild it for $45.00.

Another reason I decided to buy this is that since I will be doing repair work for people, I need to have one that I can change from one size wheel to another quickly.

michaelscycles said:
This is my repair area. The truing stand is wearing gloves, I just stuck them their when I was done today. I built a wheel and used the stand today, worked great. It will take a little time to get used to.

thats the exact one i use ...
werks very well, but a little tricky on the setup
but once u got it sorted, its great:)

i used to use a set of forks with the brakes and i could use them as an adjustable guide;)

Back