Trouble with Tire Clearance on a Schwinn Springer Fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So I am assembling a 1957 Schwinn Deluxe Hornet. It has the later style springer and is an S-7 bike. In mounting the front tire I find that I have about an inch of clearence between the top of the fender and the top of the tire. On the back/lower part of the fender the clearance is much less, about 1/2 inch. I tried adjusting the point where the fender attaches to the fork forward and back, it does not seem to help. What am I doing wrong? The top fender brace is original, the lower brace is a replacement if that matters. I want to even up the clearance, I'm concerned about tire rub on the bottom half of the fender.

Well I pulled it apart moved the fender around and I flipped the fender braces. It turns out the replacement brace is actually a little shorter then the factory Schwinn brace. With the replacement brace on top and the Schwinn brace on the bottom it fits together pretty nice. The top still does have less clearance but it is not as bad as how I originally had it.

Back