Trouble installing new saddle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just pikced up a brooks saddle and the seat post on my columbia is just barely too small... besides getting a new seat post with a thicker mounting area.. what are some other ideas?

Buy 6-pack of beer, drink first beer, cut up first can, to make shim wrap around seat post and slide seat over it, trim excess, tighten seat, test sit on it, if all feels good go for a short ride then go home and drink other 5 beers.

outskirtscustoms said:
Buy 6-pack of beer, drink first beer, cut up first can, to make shim wrap around seat post and slide seat over it, trim excess, tighten seat, test sit on it, if all feels good go for a short ride then go home and drink other 5 beers.

That's my method.....more or less... :roll: :wink:

Cheers!

Central clamp section from your old seat. If you don't have one, you need a 5/8" saddle clamp. I used to have a link to that specific size, but can't seem to find it now. :roll:

If it is like the old Schwinn post with a real skinny top, Flip the post upside down. Still may need shims.

cman said:
If it is like the old Schwinn post with a real skinny top, Flip the post upside down. Still may need shims.

as much as i would totally do the beer thing.. im at a dry school and i live with my RA so idk ab drinking beer part haha.. but i did do this and it work well.. i'll get some pics up soon in my project thread if anyone wants to check it out

That clamp takes a lot of stress, so it would be best to have the exact size clamp. I have tried many different kind of shims over the years, and nothing ever lasted. The only other consideration would be to make sure the teeth align properly on the clamp. Some aren't compatible.

vwnthusiast said:
cman said:

as much as i would totally do the beer thing.. im at a dry school and i live with my RA so idk ab drinking beer part haha.. but i did do this and it work well.. i'll get some pics up soon in my project thread if anyone wants to check it out

Works with soda or energy drink too

I used one of those Wald 945's. Be aware that it's not as strong as the older type 13/16" posts. There are stronger ones available, but they seem to all have the small seat clamp area. :roll: Some one posted a suggestion of jamming a wooden dowel inside it. If you're tall enough to fully extend it, or weigh more than 160 lbs, it would be a good idea. Mine bent right at the frame clamp, and unlike an old Stingray post, it crimped and became noticeably weaker. :(

Latest posts

Back