Trouble fitting ape hanger bars

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have that '59 or '60, whatever AMF Roadmaster, which I intend to be my "rat" bike, and I have a 24 in. ape hanger handlebar for it. Trouble is, the bar doesn't have a raised part where it fits into the stem. So no matter how much I tighten the stem bolt, it won't grab the bar enough to keep it tight. Are there shims available? How do folks make these handlebars work?

I don't know for sure that shims are available, I think they are though. You could cut up some soda cans and go old school.

shims are available from most lbs. for $15 you could probably purchase a set of apes that fit without the shims. big apes offer a lot of leaverage, if at all posible, i'd stay away from shims, they just increase the odds of the bars slipping when under load.

MagicRat is right, that length you can create a lot of torque at the stem. I just put 25" bars on a bike (actually this is the third bike for these bars). I made a shim out of conduit, and tac welded it to the bars.

MagicRat said:
I think ya may need a BMX style stem to keep those long bars secure.

What Rat said,

A "toploader stem" is the best way to keep the bars from slipping, there about $15. I've got this setup on a chopper that requires a lot of "wrestling" on the bars to keep it in a straight line, it's never slipped.

JoKeR63 said:
MagicRat said:
I think ya may need a BMX style stem to keep those long bars secure.

What Rat said,

A "toploader stem" is the best way to keep the bars from slipping, there about $15. I've got this setup on a chopper that requires a lot of "wrestling" on the bars to keep it in a straight line, it's never slipped.

Where would I find such a stem?

most lbs sell bmx style necks.theres lots you can choose from. you just have to get the correct stem size, and bars you have will fit most bmx necks.

icyuod2 said:
most lbs sell bmx style necks.theres lots you can choose from. you just have to get the correct stem size, and bars you have will fit most bmx necks.

Yeah, the trouble I'm having is looking at Ebay, the sizes listed are all over the place. I need one that will clamp down on a 7/8 in. bar, and be chrome.

Ive got a pile of bikes in my yard if you need a stem let me know I can hook you up with one for the cost of shipping

Thanks for all the help. The LBS hooked me up with the right size toploader stem, and now the bars fit right. I put my cruiser seat off the red bike on it, and rode it around the block..It rides pretty nice.

002mcv.jpg

003ouw.jpg

(That Range Rover is my neighbor's...He's SUPPOSED to be working on it, needs a head gasket. I offered him the garage space, but so far I'm just storing it)

Looks GOOD! I love apehangers. I'm working on a JC Higgins, with 25" apes (Dyno style). Will post it in a couple of days. Hey! Maybe we're "cousins". :lol:

KOTA said:
Looks GOOD! I love apehangers. I'm working on a JC Higgins, with 25" apes (Dyno style). Will post it in a couple of days. Hey! Maybe we're "cousins". :lol:

Ha! I'm not sure if I want to do the flat black frame/ red wheel hoops bit or just leave it alone.

Looks good the color it is.

Back