Triple Red and Yellow Band Rebuild- Questions, Answers, Pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Triple Red Band Rebuild

I sprayed my yellow band with liquid wrench, I loosened up the guts enough to get a lot in there, the let it work in. That did the trick, it rolls very well and doesn't have any play. still makes a little noise in low.

As luck would have it, in my case, it was simply "old grease". She shifts and brakes very well now. And I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, so if I can do this, I'm sure most of you all can...... :shock:

Naturally, about the time I started greasing up cleaned parts for re-assembly, my camera batteries went dead. Hope what few pics I did get are helpful.

Thanks again Udallcustombikes, for letting me piggyback your thread.

001-28.jpg

003-19.jpg

004-15.jpg

005-12.jpg

006-14.jpg

007-14.jpg

009-14.jpg

010-6.jpg

013-9.jpg

011-11.jpg

012-8.jpg

Jules, I can see you're already well into your rebuild, but I thought I would offer the following (along with a huge THANK YOU to Udallcustombikes for making this thread in the first place!):

I had a similar experience with my '64 Rat Racer yellowband regarding excessive turns of the crank. All of the problems it seemed depended on setting the bearing cones with the left side inner axle nut. If you haven't already, make a tool like CCR's to service that small nut. Other attempts to adjust one of these hubs will fail without being able to hold and turn that nut. It wants to unscrew as you turn the sprocket forward.

Good luck all with your projects. I enjoy riding my 2-speed from both a functional and a gee-that's-cool perspective. People who know what it is smile with approval and others are just amazed that something like that can even work.

--Rob

ratracerrearwheel13.jpg

My 64's prime mover...

julesjunk said:
Ok, I just set down to post a "HELP" thread for rebuilding my yellow band 2 speed. Seems someone beat me to this endeavor. Not to highjack the thread, but other than grearing, is there anything different with a yellow vs. red hub?

I have a recently purchased schwinn trike I thought I'd do a quick tuneup/tire change on today so the wife could take it for a spin. NOT....

Once again, not trying to steal this thread. Just thought it easier to keep the subject all together.
Can anyone give me a quick diagnoses based on these facts:

>You can pedal for two or three chain ring turns before it engages to go forward.
>Attempting to brake does the same thing. 1, 2, or even 3 turns of the chain ring before the coaster engages.
>No sign of any gear shifting.

thanks,
Jules

NLCTVWguy said:
I had a similar experience with my '64 Rat Racer yellowband regarding excessive turns of the crank. All of the problems it seemed depended on setting the bearing cones with the left side inner axle nut. If you haven't already, make a tool like CCR's to service that small nut. Other attempts to adjust one of these hubs will fail without being able to hold and turn that nut. It wants to unscrew as you turn the sprocket forward.

Good luck all with your projects. I enjoy riding my 2-speed from both a functional and a gee-that's-cool perspective. People who know what it is smile with approval and others are just amazed that something like that can even work.

--Rob

ratracerrearwheel13.jpg

My 64's prime mover...

Rob,
I dug out a 12mm socket fully expecting to have to build the tool, but we were able to get it loose, and adjust it back with a cresent wrench and a set of needlenose. I was surprised it came loose. As far as adjusting, I simply ran it tight, then backed it off a quarter turn. Though the first couple times we tightened down the nut, it felt too tight. So I'd guess it was backed off close to a half turn.
If there was a specific way to do it, I was unaware. It now works GREAT. And I'm the first to admit, I may of got lucky (with tolerances) on the assmebly.

I get the exact same responses. People who know what they are just smile. People who don't can't believe they work the way they do.

take care,
Jules

NLCTVWguy said:
All of the problems it seemed depended on setting the bearing cones with the left side inner axle nut. If you haven't already, make a tool like CCR's to service that small nut. Other attempts to adjust one of these hubs will fail without being able to hold and turn that nut. It wants to unscrew as you turn the sprocket forward.--Rob

I work on these 2-speeds quite a bit. I own a dozen of them. I'm confused with your above post. When you say the "left side inner axle nut", are you talking about the nut that holds the brake arm on? That nut is on the LEFT side. Or, more likely, are you talking about the adjustable cone lock nut that is on the RIGHT or cog side? :?: Gary

B607 said:
Or, more likely, are you talking about the adjustable cone lock nut that is on the RIGHT or cog side? :?: Gary

i belive thats the one he's talking about Gary

udallcustombikes said:
Bump for improved pics in the red band section.

Looks great! Maybe someone will chime in with a blue band rebuild. Or better yet, someone that actually knows what their doing with another yellow band.
Merry Christmas!
Regards,
Jules

julesjunk said:
udallcustombikes said:
Bump for improved pics in the red band section.

Looks great! Maybe someone will chime in with a blue band rebuild. Or better yet, someone that actually knows what their doing with another yellow band.
Merry Christmas!
Regards,
Jules

What are you needing to know about the blue band hubs? The main thing to remember about the blue band is make sure it is in low gear when you take it apart. Otherwise, it's about the same as the red and yellow as far as cleaning and regreasing. Gary

The Coasters BC had a Bendix Automatic clinic yesterday and I decided to review this thread. I wanted to make things easier so I wanted to add this to the thread.
new_dharma said:
Bendix Automatic (kickback) 2-Speed Hub

Home Made Tool (AB-102) (because not everyone can find one!)

I'm hoping this question has a really simple answer that I'm totally missing. :?

I can't seem to remove the anchor end dust cap off of a red band hub. I've tried holding the disc support and cone in a vice and twisting the dust cap off, and taping the cone part with the bearing and dust cap placed on top of the hub shell. But nothing seems to be moving.

Any advice greatly received as I'd love to get this cleaned and rebuild.

Cheers Jonnie

Ok, just went back thru the thread and studied my pics. The snap ring I was thinking of is on the other side. The dust cap is just pressed on the disc support. Might need to soak it in kerosene or solvent to break down any grease between the dust cap and the rest of the assembly holding it together. Or you might just need a BFH.

Thanks for the advice Cameron. I'll let it soak for a good while, then stop the softly softly approach.

Cheers Jonnie

I just did my first red 3-band and I gotta tell you this is the best tutorial out there!! :mrgreen:

I also had a heck of a time getting the dust caps off.. after you get the snap ring off, just work em, they will come eventually...

IMG_20110105_195954.jpg

I was recently rebuilding a Bendix Automatic Redband hub using this excellent guide and got to the part where I had to make the special Bendix tool. I was rooting around in my tool chest looking for a sacrificial socket when I came across my box of old Ikea tools. We recently bought a couch from them and it comes with a crude wrench to tighten all of the bolts. On closer inspection I discovered that it fits the Bendix bolt perfectly. Being quite soft steel it is also a lot easier to cut with a dremel than a hardened socket bit would be. So, 10 minutes of grinding later I had this:

DSCN1734.jpg

So if you want a cheap Bendix retainer bolt tool, go down to your local Ikea...

Excellent thread! Very excited to rebuild my Bendix Red Band....

However, I am stuck now....I made the tool out of 1/2" steel pipe, unscrewed the adjusting cone lock nut, tried to free up the next piece (adjusting cone?) but I can't get it out of there. I believe it is threaded on but how hard do you have to twist to get it to come off--I don't want to damage any of the internals. Every time I turn it, it turns a ways while spinning the other gears then gets tight again. Does it just lift out or is it really threaded?

Thanks, Eric

Hi Eric,

And welcome.

Not 100% sure as I haven't come up against this problem. But maybe you didn't make sure it's in the right gear, before you tried taking it apart?
Best of luck and keep us posted. It'll be good to hear what the solution is.

Cheers Jonnie

Make sure the hub is in low gear. With the lock nut removed, turn sprocket clockwise while unscrewing adjusting-cone/ sun-gear. The hub will remain stationary if the thing is in low gear. As you turn the two together, the adjusting-cone/ sun-gear will eventually clear the planet gears and you can unscrew it freely the rest of the way. Gary

Back