triple chainring 1pc cranks 65/52/39... forget it or possibl

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, i know we've all seen the crazy vintage exercise 65 tooth chainrings onto cruisers for the look I'm lookin at you ratina!, well I just scored a big bad 65t; only, i live on a hill and even w/the 1983 original 5 speed schwinn, putting a front 65t chainring on there is going to be next to impossible to pedal up the hill... what I'm proposing is to make a triple front ring with a 39/52/65 combo... but to do this i need to find a one piece 28 tpi long pin... which i can't figure out if this beast even exists or should i change out the crankset bottom bracket bearings/cups etc to 24 tpi and build from there? also, is it possible w/ any front derailluer known to man to make that kind of physical jump from those chainrings? it's quite a circumfrence on that 65; any and all feed back will be welcome!

what is the diameter of each chainring? im trying to picture this in my head.

Walker is right on the money..not only will you have a hard time finding a front derailleur the jump between the big and middle ring will be too large and it won't shift (IMHO) :mrgreen: .
You will also need to consider the overal chain length..How are you going to take up all of the slack?

Maybe 3 won't work, but two might with a fabricated derailler. The 52 and 65 tooth sprockets would be the 2, the 39 wouldn't work because of the length of chain needed would have too much slack in the lower gears. If the 52 gets you to a low enough gear for the hills, it might be worth a try. The homemade derailler wouldn't have to enclose the chain like a normal one, just be able to push the chain back and forth. A big handle with a spring that would return the shifter to the middle position would work, with a gap of a couple inches where the chain travels.

Back