Trike Axle HELP!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I started cleaning up this trike. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6750

I need some help understanding how the wheels work on the axle ends. I took the wheels off. Hollow looking hub w/needle bearings that run on the axle. In the middle of the axle is a roll pin. How do the wheels turn since they have needle bearings inside? Does roll pin have something to do with it? The axle current just turns inside the hub shells/

If memory serves me right. I think one wheel should just be able to move freely, forward and back. The other one slides on the axle and engages onto a 3 prong type thing. Hard to explain the 3 prong part, it's like a washer with 3 small pins? sticking out, off of it? This is on newer SUN trikes. Must be different on yours.
http://www.huskybicycles.com/Merchant2/ ... ct_Count=8

Thats about all I could find. Does the Axle have a groove running almost the full length of the Axle?

Damien, It doesn't look like that. Both ends look like the pic below.
0420081602.jpg

Here is the hub shell w/needle bearings.
0420081603.jpg

I figured out by tightening down the bolt and big washer, it holds the wheel on and makes the wheel turn with the axle. I was just hand tightening before. So I think I figures it out. I don't know how it works but it rolls now.

Hooch, Thanks....I bet you are right. There are two styles of bearings in there and one looks like it has little springs that might cause it to bind up.

Thanks again.

same principle as a gear wrench
all the trikes like that i have seen have one axle pinned solid with a rollpin and the other just runs free with a bushing
and yours with the 5 speed is a new breed to me I take it it wont back up like some trikes will

2manybikes said:
That is definately a strange one. So the rearend would works kind of like a posi-track?

I thinks so. I only took it for a brief spin (on flats :oops: ) the inside rear wheel spins when lifted up around corners. The wheels are off getting a anti rust treatment, need to fix the flats, replaced the front wheel, seat and pedals. I will update when it gets running.

Hooch, no reverse on it. It has a 5speed freewheel mounted to the axle. I guess the wheel bearing would also prevent reverse.

Cool, so you just have to crank down the bolt...

Yea, All my experiance with Trikes are the new ones :roll: Glad you got it runnin and 5 Speed :shock: 8)

66olds98 said:
Cool, so you just have to crank down the bolt...

I was just playin with it. I must of had the wheel on backwards as the only thing the bolt does is hold the wheel on. The bearings do all the work as long you have them orientated correctly.

Latest posts

Back