Trek District

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody out there have one, or has ridden one? I'm about a day away from ordering one, and by the reviews people love it... belt drive, single speed, limited production...

trek-district.jpg

Walker said:
That's a sharp ride.

My only $0.10 worth would be to order an extra belt

I believe that the belt is made by the same company that manufactures Harley drive belts so you probably won't need a spare. Spot bikes uses the same belts and they're almost indestructible :)

I think its a sweet looking ride and have read and watched a ton of videos online about these belt drives and they seem to be good but when it comes down to it bikes havn't been using chains for so long for no good reason....they both def have their strenghts and weaknesses just have to make sure its right for you.

I have seen two in person - one on a pedestal in a bike shop, and the other being ridden down the street. It is the nicest looking SS you can get, IMO.

ish said:
I have seen two in person - one on a pedestal in a bike shop, and the other being ridden down the street. It is the nicest looking SS you can get, IMO.

It still is.

Lately I'm thinking of getting a brand new Singlespeed, and everytime I go searching for one I get drawn to these... I don't care too much about the belt-drive though... This bikes also looks good with an ordinairy chain. The belt is just a cool touch. My 'brother in law' rides one and loves it:

trek_belt_1.jpg

trek_belt_2.jpg

trek_belt_3.jpg

I'ld order an extra belt, just to make shure...

I'd think if chains have been around this long why change it if it works? I've not had too many problems with chains as long as it's oiled and maintained once in a great while. And how do you know it won't be like the Schwinn Stingray bikes with that fat tire that you can't find 5 years later after they discontinue them?

More examples: My Peugeot folding bike. 550A tire size, When it was new the LBS carried all kinds of tires for it. try finding those tires in a style that is appealing now! They make maybe 3 styles I have found and they ain't no thick bricks or colored tires.

Or another example, that cool 3 speed, cluster gear, drum brake hub made by Sturmey Archer I have on that bike you can't find brake shoes for it now.

Few we can ALL relate to:
Those special 1970's "Schwinn only" thread pitch bolts! Those little aluminum cable holders that go into the old Schwinn brake levers that don't come with the cables anymore.

Some things are being reproduced, others aren't. How many belt drive bikes are out there? You think it will be re-produced 5 years after they discontinue that model?

scrumblero said:
are those vertical dropouts on sliders? :?

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly but here's a close up. This pic doesn't make it clear but you can open up the frame at the dropout to change/adjust the belt:

trek_belt_4.jpg

^ nice colors by the way...

@ outskirts customs:

What can I say... For a long time people said that the earth was flat. ...Then somebody did something stupid, sailed the other way around, and discovered America...
:mrgreen: :wink: :mrgreen:

Playing Devils' advocate for a moment here...:
The system is more quiet. It's lighter. The belt doesn't slack/wear off. It requires less maintanance. No more messing with oil or grease. So no oil and grease on your pants (=you don't have to wear silly hipsterclothes to drive this singlespeed if you run it without a chain...ehrrr...beltguard). The whole bike requires almost non maintanance with it's integrated cups and all. It sounds like the perfect 'urban commuter' to me. Remember that this bike is aimed at people living in crowded cities who don't have a yard or a shed filled with spare parts, spare bikes(!), tools, and who don't have a working space. Aimed at people who have to park their bike in the hallway, or even living room.

outskirtscustoms said:
I'd think if chains have been around this long why change it if it works? I've not had too many problems with chains as long as it's oiled and maintained once in a great while. And how do you know it won't be like the Schwinn Stingray bikes with that fat tire that you can't find 5 years later after they discontinue them?

Before the compact disc we used vinyl on HiFi equipement for more then 50 years and people were also saying:'why change?' ;-)

Sometimes people like to do things differently. Trying to be inventive. Trying to improve. (what I see is the original 'American way of life') You know, progression, as opposed to people around here on rrbdotcom, (us,) who like to reminisce and revere things, ways, products, and times that are long gone. Things that have been done by others. Remember that 'we', as traditional and conservative people are revering people and things that were NOT traditional and conservative, but where unique and did things differently... I don't say a particular way is better or worse than the other but I always keep in mind our 'hobby', customizing uncomfortable (kids!)bikes and what not) and our way of 'improving' things is VERY questionable too...

outskirtscustoms said:
Few we can ALL relate to:
Those special 1970's "Schwinn only" thread pitch bolts! Those little aluminum cable holders that go into the old Schwinn brake levers that don't come with the cables anymore.

By 'we....ALL' you're probably referring to Americans (who've tinkered) with and trying to restore old Schwinns who don't want to spend five bucks for just an other brakelever I guess...

But there are a few more modern examples too: It seems that for every brand you need specialty tools, often of that same brand; The unique Apple-computer connections; The inferior VHS-system became standard leaving better video-systems behind. Etc..

remember: I'm playing devils' advocate here. ;-)
I really don't think a belt will EVER replace the cheap, made-in-china, steel chain, but I seriously can imagine myself buying this Trek beltdrive-bike if I wanted a new bike that rides like a dream, doesn't need maintanance, is very fast, light, looks extremely cool, has a very fair price, and which I will enjoy for years to come.
(As opposed to some of the way overpriced retro-cruisers...)

Oh I have no problem with innovation and personally I think the belt design is pretty cool, I'm just wondering how long parts will be around for it. I have a Peugeot folding bike with 550A ( 22" x 1.75 ) tires, a drum brake in the rear, and probably a dozen parts I'll never find again. I'm sure in the 70's when it was new I could order any part for it I'd ever need right from the LBS, but now I'm having trouble finding tires for it, let alone hub parts or brake shoes. It was a very innovative bike in it's day. Now it's a "hard to find parts for" innovative bike.

Ah, very much true. But one could also see it from a more possitive point of view: There is a possibility that we're looking at the new Bowden Spacelander! :wink: ...or more realistic: the 'skiptooth-collectible' of the future! 8) If it's unbreakable like they claim it to be, why worry? Just get an extra belt. Maybe two. I'm pretty sure this bike I'll last just as long as (maybe even longer than) other bikes with the same pricetag. Also bear in mind, this Trek is also available with a traditional/conservative/ordinairy metal bikechain so I'm pretty sure one can change wheels and bottombrackets when and if that needs to be done.

I think much of the problem of unavailability of parts only exists in the minds of people like us, who are fixing up and restoring 20 year old bikes, not to 95% of the people this bike was meant for. Products of nowadays aren't meant to last longer than 10 years. People whom these bikes are meant for shall want just an other bike rather than keeping a 10 year old bike alive.

I think the guys and galls that had those fat-tired classic Stingrays and Peugeots in the decade they came out had a blast with em for years.

Like I said: I was playing devils advocate. I personaly believe the normal steel bikechain will be used for as long as there are bikes. But that doesn't keep me from wanting such a cool thing as a beltdriven quallity bike that looks as cool as ice...

The only real disadvantages of belts on bikes is they are a little less efficient than chains and they can only be used in a single speed/internal hub situation. The dropouts have to be on sliders because the belt is a constant size so the dropouts have to be moved to accommodate. There also has to be a slot to fit the belt through somewhere on the rear of the frame, usually incorporated with the sliding dropouts. The belt is cleaner and requires less maintenance. Bikes have only been around for a little over a century, so that's not that long. I feel like the only reason there is a chain anyway is because people were afraid of falling of of ordinaries, so they made is smaller, then the chain was added to give the advantage of having a big wheel. If you look at some older bikes people made shaft drive and other chainless drives at the time because they didn't trust the chain.

If you want the bike, the belt drive shouldn't hurt it at all.

outskirtscustoms said:
......And how do you know it won't be like the Schwinn Stingray bikes with that fat tire that you can't find 5 years later after they discontinue them?.......

yeah, ask owners of trek recumbents and fitness equipment how that product support's comin' along....... :mrgreen:

Yes, it's obviously a citybike with such a name as Trek Urban District. They're part of the Urban series, next to Urban Valencia, and Urban Soho. Kinda silly going off-roading a bike fitted with roadracing tires... This is an asphalt racer, not meant for dirt and mud. You don't do freestyle tricks on a Electra RatFink... But then again, now we know for shure not to take it out into the woods!
:D

I could have understand you wrong... So, you weren't talking about the Trek bikes, but about the same beltdrive system other bikemakers use? Cool pics by the way. Seems like they've tackeled that problem of skipping. I wonder where they get their belts and other hardware from. Or is it all in-house stuff? 8)
I guess it's time for me to google some more...
:wink:

herr_rudolf said:
Ah, very much true. But one could also see it from a more possitive point of view: There is a possibility that we're looking at the new Bowden Spacelander! :wink: ...or more realistic: the 'skiptooth-collectible' of the future! 8) If it's unbreakable like they claim it to be, why worry? Just get an extra belt. Maybe two. I'm pretty sure this bike I'll last just as long as (maybe even longer than) other bikes with the same pricetag. Also bear in mind, this Trek is also available with a traditional/conservative/ordinairy metal bikechain so I'm pretty sure one can change wheels and bottombrackets when and if that needs to be done.

I think much of the problem of unavailability of parts only exists in the minds of people like us, who are fixing up and restoring 20 year old bikes, not to 95% of the people this bike was meant for. Products of nowadays aren't meant to last longer than 10 years. People whom these bikes are meant for shall want just an other bike rather than keeping a 10 year old bike alive.

I think the guys and galls that had those fat-tired classic Stingrays and Peugeots in the decade they came out had a blast with em for years.

Like I said: I was playing devils advocate. I personaly believe the normal steel bikechain will be used for as long as there are bikes. But that doesn't keep me from wanting such a cool thing as a beltdriven quallity bike that looks as cool as ice...

yeah I try to get a bike I like that fits me and ride it till it turns to dust or costs more than a new bike to fix then throw it in the shed and get another.

Back