Trail Blazer... Completed (almost)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Trail Blazer... And so it begins (again)

Acrylic enamel removes the need for a clear coat? Why is that?

Looking rad btw.

Leroy said:
Acrylic enamel removes the need for a clear coat? Why is that?

Looking rad btw.

It is a type of automotive paint. Supposedly, it is a very durable finish and uses a hardener that provides a high gloss finish without a clear coat. This is my first time using it and time will tell regarding the durability. It requires mixing the paint in the proper ratios with a reducer and the hardener. To be honest it's a bit of a toxic mess. The results are good but I'm not certain I would go this route again.

TCN

Taped, masked and almost ready for the primary color! Bracing myself for the moment of truth.
4944313180_49a41a8080_b.jpg

4944315416_31bfc6da8e_b.jpg

Pull the trigger!!!! 8) This is going to look really great!! I can't wait to see it after you slap on more paint!! 8)

I love this kind of build!!
This one is gonna be one of the great, can´t wait to see it!!

Thanks! I still have to get the tool box masked off. It's a bit more tricky since I haven't decided how big the panels should be yet. All goes well, I should have it in primary colors (at least a first coat) by Saturday.

Thanks again!

That is AWESOME :mrgreen: Great paint job :wink:
Nick :mrgreen:

Wow, beautiful job on the darts on those forks. They really look awesome. Excellent color choices too. I can't wait to see this thing come together. Nice work man! I hope we get some progress pics after this three day weekend.

Thanks all! :D

I'm actually going to let this cure for a few days before a little light buffing and polishing as the gray is still pretty soft. Next update may take a while as I'm turning my attention toward the wheelset. This originally had 28" metal clad wood wheels. I've got a pair of Velocity Blunts ordered to try to mimic that. Unfortunately black anodizing won't jive here so they'll be painted black, pinstriped with gray and laced to a ND hubset.

Thanks again for the compliments!

FANTASTIC!!!

Thanks again! I got a little too excited today and did a premature mock up of the frame and fork.

4960486243_ff7450493b_b.jpg

4961080146_a3294aa48a_b.jpg

My god, that is just plain stunning. The bullet shaped bolts for the truss rods are too cool. I can't believe how smooth looking the paint turned out considering how rough the frame was. You did a great job smoothing it out. You are a far more patient man than I.

sandmangts said:
My god, that is just plain stunning. The bullet shaped bolts for the truss rods are too cool. I can't believe how smooth looking the paint turned out considering how rough the frame was. You did a great job smoothing it out. You are a far more patient man than I.
Ditto all of the above but the key word that says it all - STUNNING.

Simply freakin' amazing yewhi, I'd be lucky if my '36 Elgin Oriole comes out even anywhere close to this.

sandmangts said:

Thanks again all. It turned out nice but to be honest, it has its imperfections. Mostly tiny ones, but I see them. As for the bullet shaped bolts, that was purely unintentional. The truss rods have a really funky thread. The thread was 5/16 with a 24 TPI. I tried to get chromed cap bolts but they were only available in an 18 TPI. These were the only bolts I could find that were 24 TPI. As Luck would have it they turned out kinda' cool.

I also finished up the lettering on the tank and did a dry fit. Interestingly, what I originally thought woould be one of the coolest parts of the build is now one of my least favorite. It looks great, but it hides some details of the frame. I'll play it by ear, get everything completed and then see what it looks like.

Thanks again Gentlemen!

Tim

Back