Track Racer on the cheap.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I wasn't going to make a build post for this bike, but there seems to be a lot of interest in these types of bikes so some people might like to see this build. My goal here is to replicate a 1920's-1950's track/club racer as authentically as possible on a small budget. These sort of bikes were raced on velodromes, grass tracks, cinder tracks and sometimes on the road. Six day races and club races were also popular at the time. The reason for this is to get an accurate reproduction that not only looks good, but also rides like the original. This should yield me a bike that can be enjoyed without the worry of damaging rare and expensive parts or fear of theft. Aluminum parts will be avoided wherever possible. I got this single speed 60's or 70's frame from another RRB member, very low end but the price was right.
oxford1.jpg

Then I ruined the decent paint job.
trackpaintremove.jpg
oxford3.jpg

One interesting thing is that the tubing is textured rather than smooth like you see on most bicycle frames. Basically no prep or cleanup was done while this frame was constructed. The rough unfinished lugs and crude craftsmanship really make the frame seem older than it really is. I cut the fender/rack tabs off and filed them down, which really looks much better. The fork ends were straightened at this time as well.
oxford4.jpg

I cleaned up the frame a little and filled the head badge holes. Then I gave the frame a quick coat of gloss black.
trackpaintedframe.jpg

Next is the fun stuff. I wanted a "7" seat post, but they didn't make them in the right size and i didn't want to have to shim it. I cut up some old handlebars for the tubing.
7seat1.jpg

I made a jig from some wood and a few nails
7seat2.jpg

and welded it together.
7seat3.jpg

Next I wanted an adjustable "Major Taylor" handlebar stem, but without paying 300 bucks. I started with a steel MTB stem and one of those handlebar end extension things.
majorstem1.jpg

This is the basic layout.
majorstem2.jpg

majorstem3.jpg

The welding is done but it needs to be cleaned up a little.
majortaylorstem4.jpg

Looking good so far, are you going to do a fixed gear or coaster brake rear hub? I have been thinking of building a fixie just for the heck of it and the cheaper the better :mrgreen:

Thanks. I don't have any fixed gear bikes so I'm going to give that a shot. If I don't like it I can always install a freewheel and ride it as a single speed.

I received a well worn leather saddle from another RRB member and mounted it on the new seat post.
leathersaddle1.jpg

Due to the high cost of cottered track crank-sets I'll be using a 70's Raleigh crank-set for now. (Thanks Ratina)
nervarcrank1.jpg

The Raleigh pedals are very odd, they are steel rat trap type but they have no bearings. They should be ok for now.

I'll be using Soma Major Taylor bars for this build. These are a nice steel repro of a vintage track bar.
smtaylor1.jpg

So far I have almost all the parts I need except for wheels, tires and some odds and ends. The wheels will likely be the most expensive part of the bike. Unfortunately I've yet to find a set I like. Wood rims would be perfect, but don't fit in with the idea of building a cheap bike. I'll probably try to find a used set of 700c rims with a track hub.

Time to dust off this project and get back to work. I just purchased a set of wheels and a brake, now I need to decide on what tires I want.
I'm stuck between cheap black tires and schwalbe cream tires. I can't seem to find the 700c cream schwalbes without the reflective sidewalls in the US. I'm also considering repainting the frame again, this time maybe burgundy, gray or an off white. It needs to be something "period" correct.
tracksnow1.jpg

Thanks. Those are the tires I'm looking at, but they are available in two versions one with reflective sidewalls and one without. I found out I can order right from schwalbe though, so I should have no problem getting the non reflective ones. I just need to receive my rims first and make sure those tires aren't too wide.

Congratulations! great bike, great craftsmanship.
Now, I know you are the man to teach me this.
I´m just about to build a seat post like yours, and I was wondering how you did resolve the anchorage between the two tubes.
I see a "V" cut, but I cant figure out how exactly the other tube fits...
You explanation would help me enormously :D

I don't have a tubing notcher so first I marked the center and then I used a hacksaw to cut the v out of it. Then it took a lot of hand filing and grinding to get the top part to fit between the bottom part. Once it was close I hammered it in there which spread out the thin pointy parts. I started welding at the bottom and then hammered the pointy parts around the top tube and then welded it all up. I cant say its the easiest or necessarily the right way to do it, but it seemed to work for me. I think it should be strong enough, but if it isn't I can always add a gusset.

Totally digging it! I lovw the stem and the Major Taylor bars are suh-weet... :mrgreen:

Thanks so much for your help and good disposition.
I ´ll let you know how my seat post turns up, by following your lead I think it´s going to be great.

I really like your adjustable stem/handlebar combo-just like how Major Taylor had it back in the day!!! Soma's M.T. bars have a really cool bend to them, I found a cheap pair on ebay and put them on my Iver Johnson track bike and love them. This build is great, I'm glad to see another traditional themed fixed racer being built the right way, great job man!!! :D

and about the paint, nothiing says peroid like brushed black laquer. :wink:

Latest posts

Back