Too extreme 1st build??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my budy says "Oh you should try building a bike and restoring them with me" so here ys go. My first build. Its ridable and stops traffic everywhere I go!!
HPIM1971.jpg

HPIM1975.jpg

HPIM2110.jpg

HPIM2135.jpg

What do ya think??

The leaf spring idea for the rear is killer. Does it bounce much and how does that affect the chain tension.

Too extreme 1st build?

The question answers itself-no...of course not. Some people just take bigger first steps than the others, although judging by your parts pile and blue jeans I'm betting this isn't your first bike.

I love how you took bar ends and made them into grips. That is insanely clever and resourceful.

Um, naa.

The head tube looks like you actually set the trail to something reasonable. Was this a happy accident or by design?

Nice custom bike.. When you get a chance lets see more pics of the red schwinn..lol

i love it!

how does that leaf spring behave on the road?
does it give you any supension?

Thanks for the feedback guys. It was actually my very first build. The red schwinn was my buddies that got me into this mess....LOL. My clothes are filthy cause I do automotive repairs in my garage also. Those are just shop clothes. As for the springs on the frame, it sucked to cut!!! The cool thing is that its active suspension. As for the chain tension, its set to about 195# meaning that there is slack in the chain when nobody is on it. The chain slack is taken up once sat on then has a tiny bit for bounce when rollin. The head tube length was a tad to far streched but it sits right and rides good. I have other projects to post. Keep your eyes peeled for other goodies.

stickit said:
So my budy says "Oh you should try building a bike and restoring them with me" so here ys go. My first build. Its ridable and stops traffic everywhere I go!!
HPIM1971.jpg

Ok, I'll come forward. I got Brian here into bike building. The red Speedster was mine. Also, some eagle eyes who were on the Conn. rides this summer will see the white/red rim in this photo was what wound up on my JC Higgins build. I was relacing a different hub that night. Glad you finally jumped in here man!

Dan

And so its bugun......And he said, "On Monday night, there will be bike building night" and he looked at his works and said, " Man this is cool"

I'm "bumping" this up, because I had the opportunity to see this bike PERFORM last night, in Northampton. Stickit is a great guy and very "humble" about his work. I was absolutely amazed at what this bike could do! This thing climbed hills like crazy, maneuvered through traffic nicely...........And rode on the DIRT trails around Smith College!......Also, although stickit didn't take advantage of it, this thing is a CHICK magnet! :lol:..........This really is a GREAT bike!

dude, that bike is sooooooooooooooo sic, wow, what a way to go. koolest bike i've seen by far.

Outlaw

Thanks Kota and Outlaw. I was pretty impressed the way she climbed the hills too. Its really a fun ride but I had no room to put all the chicks. :(

^^ in the thread that Dan posted up with his pictures. I put my pics and a crappy cell phone vid in there.

that bike has the power to bring the Smith College girls back to our team.

Back