Todays find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My friend texted me about a Schwinn "Wasp" for sale in someone's front yard for $35. I was all over it. Sure it's a Schwinn and it has a Wasp chain guard. The paint on the frame does not match the chain guard. Scored it for $30. It's got chubby grips and S-7s with Goodyear tires. If it really is a Wasp it should have S-2s right? Good thing I have a set. Now I need a red S seat.

IMG_0087 by LowpowerD, on Flickr

Thanks for the replies. Serial number says born on 5/29/1958!
By the way, this is my first fresh find of the new year. Looks like it's going to be a good one!

That bike should have S7's. It's appears to be a middleweight frame, not a ballooner. Your S2's with balloon tires might fit if you ditch the fenders. Otherwise, I'd bet your going to need S7's to make it right.

To tell if it's a middleweight frame, stick 3 fingers in the triangle above the rear fender bracket. Your fingers will be tight on a middleweight like the pic below. Your fingers will have way more room if it's a ballooner. Gary
DSC04075.jpg

There's no pics of it in the catalogs I looked at, but compared to the 57 models, it could be a Spitfire with those white painted S-7's. Maybe a Flying Star if the 2 speed was changed out.

Solid buy for $30. Looks like the paint will clean up nice, a little polish on the chrome, some fresh grease, and a little paint on the rim hoops, and it'd be good as new. Or leave it as it sits and make a rat out of it.

Back