Tires For Schwinn 26" wheels

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone, I've been told not all new 26 inch tires will fit on old Schwinn wheels. I have a early to mid 60's Schwinn Tiger and want to install a set of Red Brick tires from bike world USA. Is it true the early Schwinn wheels need special schwinn tires? Sounds strange to me so I tought I'd ask. Thanks!

There are 2 types of old Schwinn wheels, unfortunately the ones that will take standard tires are pretty uncommon. If your wheels have tires on them, check the size. If they say 1.75, or 2.125, you're in like Flynn. If they say 1 3/4 you're out of luck. I think Tigers came w/1 3/4.

Your Tiger if original will have S-7 rims. They take "inch size" 26x1-3/4 tires.

The commonly available 1.75" tires sound like the same thing but they are not. They fit the same rims as 26x2.125 tires used on mountain bikes and cruisers.

S-7 rims are larger diameter at the bead, the inside edge of the tire. Schwinn heavyweight bikes, like Phantoms and older balloon tire models, used S-2 rims, and that's the common size everyone else uses. New Schwinn cruisers use S2 sized wheels and the more readily available tires.

You can get new S7 tires from Niagara Cycle or Memory Lane Classics (http://www.memorylane-classics.com).

You could get new rims that will fit your frame just fine from a parts store like Mikes Bikes on here or your local shop, or steal a set from an old mountain bike.

Good luck with the project.
--Rob

Rumblefish said:
hey everyone, I've been told not all new 26 inch tires will fit on old Schwinn wheels. I have a early to mid 60's Schwinn Tiger and want to install a set of Red Brick tires from bike world USA. Is it true the early Schwinn wheels need special schwinn tires? Sounds strange to me so I tought I'd ask. Thanks!

Back