Tire Width??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone has 26 x 3 Kenda Flames on standard width MTB rims, could they please post the width of the tire. I've got some coming from BikeWorld USA, and want to work out if I will have to widen my chainstays or play around with the BB for chain clearance.

stab in the dark here. 3" :)

icyuod2 said:
stab in the dark here. 3" :)

3" on some rims, maybe 3.25 or more on some rims, and maybe 2.75 on some rims. That's why I stated standard width MTB rims (which are narrower than most cruiser rims).

here's 2 different rims with 3" tires. both measurements are the same.
the tires are actually 2 3/4" wide. (3" if you wrap the tape measure flat to the tread)

until ya get into really large rims, the tread of the tire is the widest point. i've got 1/8" on either side till the sides of the tires protrude further than the tread. so if the largest rim was 1/2" wider (thats a big rim) the tire would only be about 3"max.
hth

these are 24's but my 26'ers are the same.
IMG_4802-1.jpg

What bike are you putting these on?

There are very few bikes that size of tire will work on. Your width and height are both greater. I was able to barely fit a 26x3 into Schwinn heavyweight fork. You may be able to use that tire on the rear of a Columbia heavyweight as they have room for a 700c wheel.

As far as the tire fitting you'll be ok, you just may have to run the tire at a lower PSI, if the width of the rim is a good amount smaller than the tire. But most MTB rims are so wide these days I dont think that would be an issue. Fork clearance and frame clearance may be your biggest problem.

musclebikes said:
fork clearance and frame clearance may be your biggest problem.
You may also need to run reversed dish sprockets, or if using external multis, lose your inner rings.

Back