Tire slipping on rim

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi guys, I've got an issue with my vintage Carlisle Dart tire. I mounted it yesterday after cleaning it with tire shine. I figured it was the oily tire shine causing the tire to slip on the rim. I removed the tire, cleaned the bead, then skuffed the bead with sandpaper to remove any glaze on the bead. Cleaned rim mounted tire pumped up to max. pressure 30 psi. Went for a ride around the block the tire has slipped on the rim again, causing the valve stem to be laid over. What should I try next to get this old tire to grip the rim.
Thanks,
Kenny
img_2810.jpg

I would add an extra 5psi to each tire and try again. If it slips again, add 5 more psi.
30 psi sounds low. Mountain bike tires often run 40-65 psi.

I don't want to put to much in it, the max on the tire is 30psi. and as old as the tire is I'd hate to blow the sidewall out. I'll try 35 and see what happens.
Thanks

You might want to try scuffing up the chrome on the edge of the inside of the rim. One thing I have noticed though that given time the tire will get sticky onto the rim. IOW just don't ride the bike for a while might be all it needs..

i did the same with soapy water being the culprit for the slip, i would just wipe some grease/wax remover on the tire where it meets the rim in your case.

MIGZ suggestion might help too. It will allow the tire to move without dragging the tube along with it. In any case it's always a good idea to talc the inside of a tire before putting the tube in.

Back