tire sizing Q

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lady's bike had some beat up wheels/tires with solid tubes. The tires were 26x1.75. I replaced the wheels/tires with a new set I had kicking around, but the tires were 26x2.125. They fit fine in the frame, but not under the fenders. So I ordered some 26x1.75 tires and of course they don't fit on the new wheels. I mean they fit, but when I got to inflate the tube they pop off in one section.

So, do they make 2" tires? or do I need to find new skinny wheels? I'd take of the fenders, but she likes them I think.

Let me explain the 26X1.75 tire/solid tube problem... Older Schwinn's and some other bikes that came stock with this 26X1.75 tire were oddballs in the 26" range of tires and wheels. The fenders were even specific as well. Even though they said 26" on the tire they only fit these specific 26x1.75 wheels and they are slightly larger at the inside diameter which as you've seen can be a problem when mounting to a newer 26" wheel. The only other solution would be to replace the fenders with some nondescript cruiser fenders that are made for the modern size 26"X2.25" tires.

Electra makes some nice chrome fenders and their pretty cheap.

Hope this helps later Travis

gotcha. I didn't look at it too hard at the time, but I might be able to space out the fenders a little too.

Bike is a 60's huffy for what it's worth. Original tires and wheels aren't worth reusing.

So one lingering question, is what size wheel should a 26x1.75 (modern/new) tire fit on? I've ditched all of the original wheel/tire parts now so the wheels and tires are all new and modern. 26" cruiser wheels, 26x2.125 and 26x1.75 tires.

2.125 and 1.75 tires should fit on the same rims. Did you use some soapy water on the bead? Inflate the tire slowly with it laying on the ground and make sure it is inflating evenly. If it is sticking in some spots, use your hands to try and force the tire to move into place.

I've got to apologize to you for misinformation I had a bro call me a few minutes ago that is a pro bike builder and he told me that its not the 26"X1.75" tire/wheel combo that's different, he said its the 26"X1-3/8" tire and wheel. He said it will be specifically printed 1-3/8" on the sidewalls of the tire. He said these tires will not work on other rims and vise-versa. He told me that cheapo tires are not as close tolerances no matter what size they are, and that could have caused your problem of it coming of the rim. He also said most of your better LBS will know the difference. And yeah using soapy water to help the bead seat is a good idea.

Hope this helps Later Travis

yeah I've read about decimal versus fraction sizing being weird.

I'm using a compressor to inflate and was trying to go slow, but maybe I'll try the soapy water and turn the pressure way down on the compressor.

thanks guys.

Actually, the Schwinn S-7 tires are marked 26 x 1 3/4". Tires marked 26 x 1.75 should, theoretically, fit the same rim as a 2.125. But as you said, cheaper tires may be the culprit. And 26 x 1 3/8" are a totally different size, as are Schwinn S-5 and S-6 rims which have 26 x 1 1/4" tires. Makes for some confuzzling frustrication until you get used to what fits what! ~Adam

I noticed last night as I tried again after soaping up the tires that it was popping off the rim right at the valve. then I remembered I was using cheap tubes that were labeled for 1.9-2.2" and of course the tires are 1.75. So I guess I'll get some smaller tubes and try again.

Back