Tire Pump Maintenance

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a recent Serfas tire pump. I noticed it dragging and binding lately. I took it apart to see why. It uses a rubber o-ring as the plunger seal. There was no grease or oil present, but some black powder, maybe graphite? My question is, does this design require lubrication? And if so, what works best?

That is a good question, my Schwinn pump is starting to not be up to snuff, it leaks down, and will only air tires to about 25 PSI and you have to pump like crazy to get that much. I know it's a cheap enough pump but I wonder if it's able to be re-built. (Yes I'm cheap)

outskirtscustoms said:
That is a good question, my Schwinn pump is starting to not be up to snuff, it leaks down, and will only air tires to about 25 PSI and you have to pump like crazy to get that much. I know it's a cheap enough pump but I wonder if it's able to be re-built. (Yes I'm cheap)

I'd try squirting some oil in it, let it sit awhile and see if that revives it. Just did that to a cheap one I was given at a garage sale, and it does OK now.

Back