"tire peeler"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i've had this idea for a while now, my version of what a 2012stingray should look like. a modern desighn of a classic style. kinda like the new mustangs, chargers, and camaros really have the classic look, but are refined with modern touches. thats what im shootin for.
was just about ready to give up before i even started. i couldnt find the right frame locally. went to walmart yesterday looking for a bd gift for my lovely wife (did you know they have jewelry there? i thought it was only food and cheap bikes :D ),and found myself looking at bmx's that would really work for my plans. but i wasnt about to spend $100 on a new bike just to redo the entire thing. then i saw it, an orange 20"er on clearance. no, its way to cheap looking. but im gonna change it anyway,and its time to put up or shut up, so i drug it home. i know starting with a brand new bike isnt the rat style, but i was desperate, and at 40 bucks wasnt bad, no rust or frozen fasteners to fight with,paint i can scuff and shoot over, and a complete drivetrain and wheels in case i dont get to swap things out.
i'll get pics up next post.

Re: modern day stingray "tire peeler"

AWW!! C'MON I WANNA SEE THIS WAL-RAT. LOL GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

X-RAY said:
i know starting with a brand new bike isnt the rat style, but i was desperate.

If I didn't have a bike I'd do the same thing. To me rat style isn't always about old and used, it's about modifying on the cheap, and with your build, so far so good.

Can't wait to see it.

Jake Sensi said:
AWW!! C'MON I WANNA SEE THIS WAL-RAT. LOL GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Can't wait to see some pics!!! 8)

Very cool idea - can't wait to see what you have in store!

Looking forward to seeing the bike. I am sure you will do great and that the bike will come out looking very ratty. Have fun with it and at the end you will have a masterpiece.

started with this
bikes002.jpg
notice the walmart-proof fork? it actually took me way longer to get the picture from the camera to photobucket than it did to strip it. :x it doesnt look to bad in these pics,butnothing like it should end up.
bikes001.jpg
the bikes selling point about half an hour to strip everything but the bearing cups off it.
bikes006.jpg
im trying to decide wether to make a kota-fork or use a mtb-type fork,maybe what a modern springer would be. whatcha think?

I think you should incorporate "Cobra" into the build, maybe a theme.

X-RAY said:
im trying to decide wether to make a kota-fork or use a mtb-type fork,maybe what a modern springer would be. whatcha think?

I'm going to be perfectly honest with you. I have had VERY little success in bending "round" tubular forks...I've ruined my share. I'm not saying it can't be done. I just don't think it can be done in the way I do it. ROUND tubes that TAPER, yes, mild bends. ROUND tubes same diameter all the way down, haven't had much luck.....SHORT tubes, from a 20" bike, haven't done those yet. GOOD LUCK. Give it a shot. You might be more successful then me.

I was just thinking (man that hurts). I'm not going to post pics of my build in your thread, so you'll have to go see them in "Rats-Alt". The fork on that bike came from a 27" bike...That's a 24' tire combo on it. Find a 24" fork (tapered oval tube) to bend and use the 20" tire and wheel..You may drop the front a LITTLE, but you'll stretch the bike out a lot.....Just a thought!

just woundering why you did not go with say a 2010 SCHWINN stinray frame? they do still make them and there kinda cool. this frame just dose not have that stingray vib even for a retro. but hey I amm useing a BMX frame for my RRB build of bike to. so good luck with your build!

actually, i wasnt aware they still made them. i thought a 20 incher would be cheaper to build, and this one was an impulse buy. i still think i can build the idea i have in my head, maybe it was just a poor choice of a name. dont blame me, all the cool ones were taken.i know one thing, this is the smallest 20" ive ever seen! i thought the oval tubing would be a newer touch, but it does have its drawbacks. kinda funny how all the plans go out the window once you get started.

been doin alot of thinking and mocking and i dont think my build will fit the original title. after thinking about what slow rider said, and i have to agree with him, i've been driving myself nuts to find a way to prove us both wrong, pressuring myself to the point it wasnt fun anymore. no sense in doin it if it isnt fun, so, im gonna change my direction. just relax and have fun building a cool bike. to avoid confusion, im still gonna call it "tire peeler", but it wont be my vision of a stingray. every time i think about it, i keep getting new ideas that are for something different, so thats what im gonna go with. hey, some guys change frames during a build, im just changing directions. and i feel much better about it. 8)

X-RAY said:
been doin alot of thinking and mocking and i dont think my build will fit the original title. after thinking about what slow rider said, and i have to agree with him, i've been driving myself nuts to find a way to prove us both wrong, pressuring myself to the point it wasnt fun anymore. no sense in doin it if it isnt fun, so, im gonna change my direction. just relax and have fun building a cool bike. to avoid confusion, im still gonna call it "tire peeler", but it wont be my vision of a stingray. every time i think about it, i keep getting new ideas that are for something different, so thats what im gonna go with. hey, some guys change frames during a build, im just changing directions. and i feel much better about it. 8)

it can still be made a badd as s stingray just will take way more work to fabe stingray parts to fit your frame. I say go for it way to think out side the box!!

here is some for IDAs
2009 SCHWINN STINGRAY ORANGE COUNTY CHOPPERS BIKE
KGrHqNk8E3Hg6VLPgBN4BngioEQ_3.jpg

2007 reproduction Schwinn Krate Stingray
KGrHqFjkE3Lw-3DnKBN3vitgQl_12.jpg

KGrHqJhoE2ry-cgVBBN3vkR28_12.jpg

1970's Itoh Blue Streak long fork Chopper Bike Stingray
bluestreak1.jpg

OK NOW I'M OFFICIALLY CONFUSED,BUT HEY CAN I GET THAT BLUE BIKES SEAT. LOL NOW GET TA BUILDIN' PEACE

not any "real" work done all weekend, just alot of thinking and trial mock up, tear back apart, mock something different, stare at it while standing on my head.... tomorow, im gonna visit my friends at the plumbing & heating shop, see if they have a kota-bender i can borrow. the master said even though its doubtfull, try it anyway. so we'll see what happens. gotta get some things i finally decided on for this project.

Back