Tire Choices For 1960's Schwinn Middleweight Cantilever.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nice set of Araya RM-25 drop-center rims I want to use on a mid 1960's Schwinn Middleweight/Cantilever Frame Project Bike.
What would be the widest 26 inch diameter tire I can use that will clear the rear part of the frame? Looks to be only 2.5 inches of frame spacing compared to 3 inches of frame spacing on my early 50's Panther. Any info appreciated and thanks in advance. Larry

2 x 1.25"s fit nicely on any I have done. I havent tried anything wider.

Same here. 2.125" tires just barely fit within the fenders, but that's with a square-shouldered tread. The wheels have to be true, otherwise the tire will rub. A rounded brick-style tread might allow fitting a wider size, but I'd bet something like a Fat Frank would be real tight.

I have the same issue. I finally decided to rid the bike of the old fenders, and find a suitable baloon fender replacement for it and ride 26 x 2.125. I was kinda bummed when I came to the realization that I would have to get rid of the original fenders, but its extra parts in the parts box now.

Back