time to upgrade

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had forgotten that old style cable driven speedometers make some noise.I don't mean a lack of lubrication noise, but a normal moving parts kind of noise. I suppose it never bothered me in my younger days , but it does now.I intend to use the modern speedometer/computers on all the bikes I will ride often for any distance. My favorite 27" ten speed will get one and a set of led lights this week. Any tips on what to buy , or not to buy in computers or lights? I don't want to spend a lot. What about the ones at Wal-mart? Thanks.

I used one of those new digital speedos that works off a magnet on the spokes. It worked well, and I'm glad I spent 20 bucks at the LBS instead of walmart. When it acted up, they reset it and made sure it was set for 27 inch tires.

My old Cadet speedo from the 60's doesn't make any sound, but I lubed the cable and wheel unit. It did give a little rolling resistance, so off it came.

Hello Thom,

I got a wireless cateye cost about $25 at the LBS
it's about a year old, been out in the rain and elements
have never had a problem. Wireless is your best bet
with it's clean looks, and nothing to get tangled buy
brush,bushes, or whatever.

It looks like this.

Cheers.
31P9-2BflGOL__AA190_.jpg

Back