"Tight" 3pc. crank?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I never owned a 3pc. crank before and this one seem tight compared to the 1pc. cranks Im used to.It does'nt seem to freewheel as easily.Its smooth with no noise.

Is this normal? Is there any easy fix?

Of course I dont have a crank arm puller.

Hey cman,Its a fairly new 20" BMX Thruster Rampage.Dont know if its a cartridge.

A camera is right next to the crank puller,I dont have :oops:

Determine your BB style.
From the Park Tool site. http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=93
# Three piece bottom bracket- Cartridge type: Bikes made the last few years tend to come with a "cartridge" bottom bracket. For the most part, these are unserviceable, and the entire unit is simply removed and replaced when they wear out. They can not be greased or adjusted before that time. Some brands use common industrial bearings, just like ones found in cars, pumps, electrical motors, etc. Generally, the bearings are intended to be used until they wear out. With most brands, the entire unit including the spindle is replaced. For service of cartridge bearing bottom brackets, see Cartridge bearing type bottom bracket service.

# Three piece bottom bracket- Adjustable type: These usually contain four major pieces: lockring, adjustable cup, spindle, and fixed cup. The left side lockring has notched rings, and the adjustable cup may have holes for a pin spanner, or notches for a wrench. The right side cup will have wrench flats, but no lockring. Cups may be removed and replaced separately, and the spindle may be replaced separately. A set of round ball bearings are found in each cup, typically eleven ball per side of 1/4-inch diameter. This type of bottom bracket may be cleaned, greased, and adjusted.

Most repair will need the crank arms removed. :x

Latest posts

Back